Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've bought a Audi A4 1.8 SE 1996 and it comes with a couple of little problems, one being the cigarette lighter doesn't work and I don't know which fuse it is? Also the the Oil and Engine temperature gauges are intermittent. When i drive the the temperature gauge stays at 60 degrees but if i let it idle for more than 10 minutes then it goes to 90 degrees and stays there, and the oil temperature gauge stays just above 60 degrees. The car has done 96k and drives like its done half of that, also whats better, a vagcom cable or a hand held unit? How much and how do i go about getting either? Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagger7 View Post
    ... Also the the Oil and Engine temperature gauges are intermittent. When i drive the the temperature gauge stays at 60 degrees but if i let it idle for more than 10 minutes then it goes to 90 degrees and stays there, and the oil temperature gauge stays just above 60 degrees. ...

That sounds about right, its just heating up, mine takes a while to do it aswel. Infact mine doesnt often get to 90, it stays around 70ish
    Audi A4 B5 1.6 -1998 <~~~ GONE
    Audi A4 B7 2.0 - 2005<~~~ GONE
    Audi A4 B5 1.8 T 1996 <~~~Here for now

0 0 0

3. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd say you both have faulty thermostats, mine gets to 90 in five mins (even from -5C 4am starts last week) and sits bolt upright at 90 whether i'm standing in traffic on a summers day or cruising on a motorway in the middle of winter.

&#163;5 for a genuine thermostat from audi dealer v's extra fuel being used when your engines colder than it should be.

also IIRC fuse for cig lighter is no 33 red 10amps, should be a list on back of panel you remove to access at end of dash.

0 0 0

4. Thumbs up Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse1001 View Post
    i'd say you both have faulty thermostats, mine gets to 90 in five mins (even from -5C 4am starts last week) and sits bolt upright at 90 whether i'm standing in traffic on a summers day or cruising on a motorway in the middle of winter.

£5 for a genuine thermostat from audi dealer v's extra fuel being used when your engines colder than it should be.

also IIRC fuse for cig lighter is no 33 red 10amps, should be a list on back of panel you remove to access at end of dash.
    Thanks for that. The car had a new thermostat fitted when i had the cambelt done when i purchased the car. Cigarette lighter now fixed, just the other problems. I have noticed that it is a bit juicy could this have something to do with the temperature gauges not working?? Could it be anything else??

0 0 0

5. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well if the thermostats been replaced i'd say its either the temp sender or the guage itself, both of which have their known faults so take your pick....

the sender is an easier fix to begin with though.

0 0 0

6. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where would i find a part number for it? And how much? Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Forgive me for being dumb, it only has 1 thermostat doesn't it? Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh, I though tthat might be the case,as mine is using more fuel than I think it should, If I could get my vagcom to work then Id check it via that,but the bloody thing isnt interested, Ill get onto audi today and get one,throw it in later and see if that helps.
    Audi A4 B5 1.6 -1998 <~~~ GONE
    Audi A4 B7 2.0 - 2005<~~~ GONE
    Audi A4 B5 1.8 T 1996 <~~~Here for now

0 0 0

9. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    metalmickey Guest
    My car's got oil and coolant temperature guages with the same issue, but my cigarette lighter is working. Actually the socket works but the lighter doesn't. I'd be interested in how you sort these, sender or dials.

0 0 0

10. Re: Cigarette lighter not working - Engine & Oil temp gauges not working. 
    tojam Guest
    Hi all, New to Forums as well but been reading for a while. Yep I know what you mean about cigi lighter. Been to Audi and the new unit was £10 ish...and is in two sections. Tried replacing the simple part and nope still doesn't work. Does anyone know how to remove the old one. The cigi light works to charge my mobile and stuff but does like heating the element....Any ideas

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast