Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Now Now! This will stop now please.
    The forum doesn't need people like you, you should drive a BMW.
    Consider it ended Stuart.
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

2. Re: cough,cough !! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    hi all.
    i desperatly need help with my 2001 tdi se passat.

THICK BLUE SMOKE when being driven(1.5-2rpm) it wont go any higher,chug,chug.
    on idle white smoke.
    just had turbo unit replaced. new oil and filter (quantum synth)
    garage told me to drive long distance to burn off oil biuld up in exhaust !

so i set off and 100m down road had to pull over too much smoke. i mean 5th november style (without the bagers and sparks) turned around and went home to pull my hair out!!!
    it wont "rev-up" at all.

is there an expert out here that can help me out.
    marcel, i am by far an expert, but it seems to me that the intercooler may have
    an excess of oil in it as well as the exhaust, which should really have been cleaned out by the mechanic who replaced the turbo.yes, i have had experience of oil in exhausts, and yes, it will burn off, if you have the bottle to give it time!
    normally, with oil in the exhaust, the engine starts fine from cold, with little smoke until the exhaust heats up and starts to burn the oil off. it is normally at that point that "observers" will come running,yelling" switch it off it's goosed".
    but of course having cured the original fault, and knowing that the smoke is
    due only to the oil in the exhaust, you can confidently carry on running it,under load if possible,until it clears.
    the inlet side of things though is a different matter, as oil in the intercooler will not burn off, and will take an age to clear,if it ever does, and meantime will almost certainly of affected sensors causing the engine not to rev, or may have blocked the cat,if fitted.
    the guy should never have told you to drive it on the road knowing that an excess of smoke would result, apart from being dangerous,it's illegal for that very reason.
    i can only suggest you let it tick over on the drive for about a week and a half,
    or take it back until it's fixed compleatly.
    when you put a car in for repair,you leave yourself wide open by taking it away
    on the promise that it will get better.
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

3. Thumbs up Re: cough,cough !! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paul
    you sound as if you know your cars, (hence the nice audi)
    we obviuosly got off on the wrong foot, apologies on my part for being a bit defensive and retaliating like i did.... anyway!

Thankyou for your very helpful reply
    yes you are very much like some experts i had spoken to today, they also said the same as you!!!

I am going to purchase a new "cat" (of the exhaust kind) this week.
    I`ve been convinced by yourself and other profesionals that its cloged-up.

The passat has been stood for several months whilst I had used my company-car.(peugeot 607 2.0 HDi 136 exec) nice car but not my choice..
    The oil was very condensated sludge, probably from just driving a mile or two and leaving for a month.

May be this could also have blocked the oil cooler and cat ??

THANKS AGAIN PAUL

0 0 0

4. Re: cough,cough !! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Paul
    you sound as if you know your cars, (hence the nice audi)
    we obviuosly got off on the wrong foot, apologies on my part for being a bit defensive and retaliating like i did.... anyway!

Thankyou for your very helpful reply
    yes you are very much like some experts i had spoken to today, they also said the same as you!!!

I am going to purchase a new "cat" (of the exhaust kind) this week.
    I`ve been convinced by yourself and other profesionals that its cloged-up.

The passat has been stood for several months whilst I had used my company-car.(peugeot 607 2.0 HDi 136 exec) nice car but not my choice..
    The oil was very condensated sludge, probably from just driving a mile or two and leaving for a month.

May be this could also have blocked the oil cooler and cat ??

THANKS AGAIN PAUL
    As stewy said it could be a blocked cat but apart from replace it or put up with it I don't know what you could do. I am about to change the cat (I believe it is partially blocked) on my Renault van (yes i know, a VAN) and that has lost a lot of power. I know it's the CAT because I disconnected it and revved it on the driveway and all power was back. It isn't smokey like yours because yours is most likely full of oil, whereas mine is probably full of other crud. I hope you find a cheap fix to your problem. Passat's are very reliable cars in general, as I'm sure you know. Good luck.
    Paul

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: cough,cough !! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PAUL
    Thanks for your reply

and you stewy..

I have taken passat back 1hr(ish) ago. met with garage guy and his so say partner, explained to them that I have seeked expert advice and shall not be going down that road aslong as this is dealt with by this coming saturday-"smoke-free"
    I think it may be 50/50 split on CAT???

I came away with all fingers and walking !!
    NOT SUCH A BAD DAY AFTER ALL.

The passat is a great car..
    except my VEE-DUBB. (camper)
    I never thought granada ghia wheelz looked that good, until that old bus waz wearing them.

0 0 0

6. Re: cough,cough !! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    "I never thought granada ghia wheelz looked that good"
    I didn't either, I had them on a C reg black Granada.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12