Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy?

1. Question 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought my passat with 66k miles on the clock; it now has 127k.

When I first got it I used to average 48-50mpg over the course of a tank, with most 'normal' (motorway and A-road) journeys averging 52-55mpg.

Recently it appears to have dropped significantly and I now only average 43mpg per tank, with my best journeys being around 49mpg.

I have seen a number of threads on here talking about the maf sensor, but I cannot detect any loss in power so it seems less likely to be the problem.

Any suggestions on probably culprits, or is this normal given the ever increasing mileage?

Cheers,

James

0 0 0

2. Re: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been achieving similar mileage figures.

I bought mine just over a year ago with 100k on it. It now has 122k on it.

I serviced it recently, replacing all filters, etc., but it hasn't really made much of an improvement - which is surprising, given the state of the air filter!

It's certainly not as good as it was when I bought it, and I'm even driving more carefully, given the recent increases in fuel prices.

Likewise, mine doesn't really seem to be down on power, so again, the MAF looks unlikely.

When I had it in bits recently to replace the timing belt, I noticed oil on the bottom of the intercooler, so it looks like the intercooler and pipes are due for a clean out. I don't know if that will help.

I'm looking forward to any other responses.

0 0 0

3. Re: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i read somewhere that its something to do with winter diesel it has additives to stop it freezing and its not as economical as normal diesel it seems to make sense i was getting better mpg in the summer i recently changed the cooling temp sensor and the fuel temp sensor because im having a problems with my car and thought it might be something to do with the sensors it hasnt cured my fault but i am gettin better fuel consumption according to the computer both were workin fine but i changed them anyway my car has 125k on it so the older they get they must become less efficient so for what they cost i would just change them

0 0 0

4. Re: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    our 130 tdi sport...02 plate with 135k on the clock
    full service history etc etc and recently serviced returns anything from 38 to 46 mpg on town driving shall we say.
    once on the mway its upto around 45 to 49 mpg at steady 75 to 85 mph...
    is this acceptable or should it be doin g more?

0 0 0

5. Re: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebaldeagle View Post
    our 130 tdi sport...02 plate with 135k on the clock
    full service history etc etc and recently serviced returns anything from 38 to 46 mpg on town driving shall we say.
    once on the mway its upto around 45 to 49 mpg at steady 75 to 85 mph...
    is this acceptable or should it be doin g more?
    Thats about what I was getting until recently, although I think even better may be possible???

0 0 0

6. Re: 130TDI Loss Of Fuel Economy? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my passat 130tdi has 64k on the clock. Lately its been returning 38mpg around town and around 40mpg on motorway. I do know the turbo is bust, which is being replaced soon. Can a broken turbo caus ethe drop in economy? Think ill have the MAF replaced whilst am at it.

0 0 0