PLEASE HELP,
Dear guys and (gals)
ill start from the beginning,6 months ago i bought a cat d mk4 golf 1600 8 valve auto on the 52 reg SHOWING 38K WITH FULL VAG HISTORY for cheap money,sweet i thought,thats the missus quiet for a while,but how wrong i was !
Firstly,i had to replace front bushes,then soon after the water pump and while i was there may as well do the timing belt,then two tyres,then..........
it seemed to drive not quite right but could`nt put my finger on it,so while i was having it mot`d,i thought i would just check the gearbox oil,and it was running on baileys(no ice)!
On a more detailed inspection i found the oil cooler on the gearbox had pooed itself and the g/box was now running on a oil/water mix which vw do not recommend,so i changed the cooler and tried to save the box by changing the oil several times and the filter but to no availe,the damage was done,gear slip etc so,two weeks and "a £1000 for cash mate" later the car was running sweet againwith its re con box and torqe converter(although my patience is wearing thin now) and now the missus has come home to say"theres a funny bing bong noise when you start the car and a little picture on the dash".bless her.
What she actually means is the engine management light has come on and the car says"emmisions workshop",so,i plugged in the diagnostics,cleared the fault and shortly after it came back on and now im lost !............................
so if anyone out there can help,i would be grateful,the fault that comes up reads as follows 16555 fuel trim(bank1) (po171)error occurs intermitternly.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ??????????????????????????