Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Estate rear light removal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Estate rear light removal 
    LeFrog Guest

Does anyone have good info on how to remove the rear lights. I have removed the boot trim and can release the outer part of the light cluster (2 sprung clips visible from the inside ) but can find no way to release the inner part next to the boot lid rubber trim.

There is a very slim reflector hidden when the boot is shut - does this hide some sort of retainer ???? if it does it doesn't seem to want to unclip.

The lights need to come out to access screws to remove bumper to fit tow bar.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Paul

0 0 0

2. Thumbs up Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post

Does anyone have good info on how to remove the rear lights. I have removed the boot trim and can release the outer part of the light cluster (2 sprung clips visible from the inside ) but can find no way to release the inner part next to the boot lid rubber trim.

There is a very slim reflector hidden when the boot is shut - does this hide some sort of retainer ???? if it does it doesn't seem to want to unclip.

The lights need to come out to access screws to remove bumper to fit tow bar.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Paul
    open yor tailgate and you will se that there is a plastic cover covering inner side of taillights. this plastic must be poped off and ander it you will finde retainer. undo it and voila...

0 0 0

3. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    LeFrog Guest
    Many thanks for your reply, I managed to find a good description on a towbar manufacturers website and it was just as you described and I managed to do it about 2/3 weeks ago.

0 0 0

4. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I,ve done a DIY towbar and elecs fitting --now worried about coding ???????

0 0 0

5. Question Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unclipping the panels on the tail gate only gives access to tailgate lights. How do you get at the main rear cluster which conceals the bumper fixing screws?

0 0 0

6. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry Guys! Just found the panel you meant- my mistake

0 0 0

7. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LeFrog, how did you remove the trim of the boot lid?
    Passat Sport Estate / Reflex Silver / Ipod / Heated front and rear seats / Leather

0 0 0

8. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anybody now what the wirin is for a trailer on a Passat estate? I have a B6 in bits at the moment, I've bolted the bar on, and I'm having problems finding out which wire does what in the rear lights.

Cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    There are two connectors, one each side. Colours as follows unless anyone knows better.
    Left indicator....Black
    Right indicator....Black/green
    Left brake...Black/blue
    Right brake....Black/blue
    Left tail....Brown/grey
    Right tail....Grey/yellow
    Number plate....Grey/brown
    Reverse....Black/red
    Fog....Grey/white

0 0 0

10. Re: Estate rear light removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice Martin I've just wired it all up and everything works, except the sidelights, I've got a chattering relay, so either the relay's bad, I need one of those smart-relays that are cluttering up eBay these days, or I've done something wrong.

Do you know if a smart relay is needed (I'm guessing that the sidelight is just a pulsed feed of the brake light, which is why the relay is clicking in and out).

Cheers

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast