1. sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a general increase in the idiots driving around with sidelights on in the dark or is it just up north ? also the number of one eyed wonders ? surely the filth should be earning there crust doing something about these clowns . RANT OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 0 0

2. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must be in the north only... Here in the south there are different problems with cars. Mostly it's indicators not working... A lot of the idiots are compensating for that by turning on their fog lights...
    2003 B5 Passat 1.9 TDI sport 130 (aka "Stealth Bomber")

0 0 0

3. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Rule 113 of the highway code:-
    Use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified.

So if the road is lit (and usually 30mph) then it is OK to use sidelights. Also depends on visibility i.e weather conditions too.

I have noticed some cars such as my other half's MX5 from the front with headlights on is awkward to see the indicators.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

4. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My pet hate: idiots with side lights on in the dark, no headlights but they have their front fog lights on. They should be shot on sight.

0 0 0

5. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hagis View Post
    My pet hate: idiots with side lights on in the dark, no headlights but they have their front fog lights on. They should be shot on sight.
    I'll go along with that.

Also, are people really that thick as not to notice whether one of their lights has blown? I can't imagine someone consciously driving about like that, and always have spare bulbs with me just in case, if not I'm straight down the shop.

0 0 0

6. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in West Yorkshire. It's not side-lights. They are FOG lights (at least that is what I assume by their position and intensity) - the worst ones being on Subarus which, when on, are so bright they may as well have their full main beam pointing at you. I especially like the ones who don't bother with headlights (even where they are needed - at night on badly lit roads) and have sidelights on (very dim) with the fog-lamps below.

I often flash my main beam to warn them that it's 7 o'clock and past their bedtime.

I have heard of only one example of the woodentops doing something but doesn't it say something about people when (brainless) fashion dictates a way of driving?

0 0 0

7. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know we've touched on the issue of fog lights before, but this is the legal situation, according to a copper I spoke to recently:

If the foglights are up to 18" off the road (which is usually below bumper level or thereabouts on most cars), and they're on during normal driving conditions (ie not reduced visibility), then you're illegal. Even if your bulbs (for argument's sake) are of sidelight intensity, you could still be done.

HOWEVER, and this is where the law stinks, if your lights are mounted above 18", as in above the bumper, then (from what I understand) you can drive with them on without being nicked.
    Personally I've never heard such a load of cobblers, but in true British legal style I'm not surprised if that is indeed the case.

This is what I have been told by someone who should know, so if anyone begs to differ, don't shoot the messenger!!!!

0 0 0

8. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi malcqQV, I Hear what u are saying about sidelights in a built up area but i bet the insurance companies would beg to differ in the event of a claim. cars are built with headlights for a reason so its a no brainer -use them.

0 0 0

9. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faticus View Post
    hi malcqQV, I Hear what u are saying about sidelights in a built up area but i bet the insurance companies would beg to differ in the event of a claim. cars are built with headlights for a reason so its a no brainer -use them.
    Totally agree, and it's no coincidence that current day VAG models' light switches go straight on to main headlight rather than sidelight first.

0 0 0

10. Re: sidelights !!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k9max View Post
    Totally agree, and it's no coincidence that current day VAG models' light switches go straight on to main headlight rather than sidelight first.
    They do wind me up.

People with one headlight and one side light (on opposite sides),
    People driving in fog with NO lights on at all,
    Fog lights and silly little blue sidelights (They can't use their full beams because you won't be able to see their blue side lights),
    BMW drivers on sidelights and fog lights because you can't see their silly little outline sidelights if they have headlights on,
    People who use fog lights in heavy rain,
    2007 Audi A6 3.0 TDi quattro S line manual saloon
    1975 Rover P6 4000S 5 speed

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast