Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

I am the proud owner of a 90 bhp golf TDI on a 99 plate. I have just had it MOT'd, upon collection I was informed by the garage the linkage had broken to select reverse & 1st gears! but was ok to get me home as they had tie wrapped it in place as a temp measure. On telephoning my local VW dealer he advises me it is a common problem with the part being manufactured from plastic. The questions I have for other members are:

1. Is the new part easy to fit?
    2. Any precautions needed?
    3. Are there any other major manufacturers problems to be aware of?
    (know about/ have replaced the faulty grey relay switch 109)

Regards - 2Dcadman

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i seem to have the same fault, however the garage is being an *** with me and they dont like fixing anything, from the sounds of it, it shouldnt be that hard to fix though, ill have a brother with kid brother and see what he thinks (mechanic)

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eshrules View Post
    i seem to have the same fault, however the garage is being an *** with me and they dont like fixing anything, from the sounds of it, it shouldnt be that hard to fix though, ill have a brother with kid brother and see what he thinks (mechanic)
    Hi
    Got the new part from vw cost £9.00 with the vat. Does not look to big a job to replace. Looks like I will have to remove the air filter housing so I can remove the bottom gear linkage this then will allow me to slide the broken piece out and the new one in. mine looks like the M8 nut has been over tightened or its a vw design flaw for manufacturing it in plastic....!

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took about 20 - 25 mins to repair. Made alot easier by the removal of the air filter housing and other gear linkage. Tip for you - mark the existing position of the M8 nut on the slotted bracket to before you remove. Also carefully remove bottom linkage bolt making sure you don't lose bush /washer down into the belly pan!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    due to your problems with this, was it hard to put into 1st gear before it broke??

0 0 0

6. Question  
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How have you got on? Have you managed to fix problem?

Let me know if I can be of any help.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Dcadman View Post
    How have you got on? Have you managed to fix problem?

Let me know if I can be of any help.
    not sure if youre asking me or not but heyho LOL since i posted, in all honesty, the fault seems to have self-rectified. doesnt seem to do it now! glad you got yours sorted, cheap and easy fix, just the kind i like

0 0 0