Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Unhappy 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My wife was driving my Polo 1.4 Tdi when suddenly several warning lights came on the dash which consisted of a Steering Wheel with an exclaimation mark next to it, the ABS light and a picture of a seat tilting! Then the power steering failed so she stopped. We called the rac out and they indicated that the battery was not charging so it must be the alternator which has packed in. I went out and bought a new alternator (£200) , put it on and its no different. Also i have noticed that the battery light on the dash does not come on when the ignition is turned on.

Does anyone know what might be the problem ??

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi It is one of two possible faults,the 1, a fault with the dash panel insert, 2 a fault in the wire from the dash panel to the the alternator.I need your engine code to advise you how to eliminate the one fault from the other.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think my engine code is AMF.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi again Then you need to remove the dash panel and ohm the blue wire pin 3 on the 32 pin connector,(behind dash panel) and the blue wire on the alternator connector,this will indicate if you have a break on the wire.

0 0 0

5. Unhappy Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the check on the blue wire intended to get to the cause of the problem of having no battery light or the other symptoms i mentioned as well ?

Many Thanks.

0 0 0

6. Smile Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im going to perform the check on the blue wire first thing tomorrow and i will post my results asap.

Thanks.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The alternator is magnitized by the the alternator warning lamp if there is a break in this wire ,the alternator,will not charge.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The power steering pump is electric so if the battery voltage is low, it won't pump.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have now ohm checked pin 3 and the blue wire in the plug which goes onto the alternator and have got no reading ie open circuit. Is there a common place for this wire to break or a good place for me to start looking for the break ?

Thanks

0 0 0

10. Talking Re: 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ive found the break in the blue wire!
    It was at the second connector in the wire just below the starter motor so ive done away with the connector altogether and permanently soldered the wires.
    Alternator now gives a healthy output, no lights on the dash and i even have a battery light.

So problem solved & thanks for all your helpful info.

Only thing is that now the airbag warning light has decided to stay on so thats my next task but at least my cars back in action.

Cheers

1 1 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast