1. Stained chrome window frames 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got some what looks like water marks in the chrome/aluminium (whatever it is) framing around my car windows. Looks like it's actually 'inside' the frame.

Tried all sorts of aluminium cleaners, nothing will budge it out. I was told some chemicals in cleaners may have caused it. Posiibly window cleaner as the problem isn't on any other trimmings.

Anyone else experienced this?
    AUDI A4 1.8T QUATTRO SPORTS : 2001 B6
    0 0 0

2. Re: Stained chrome window frames 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have this on the chrome trim strip at the bottonm of the drivers door window. It looks like water marks under the plastic coating of the strip. When I was in the Audi dealer (for something else) I pointed it out to them and also showed them that several other A4's & A6's had the same problem, they didn't seem too bothered. I dont think any amount of polishing will remove these marks as it looks like some chemical has attacked the plastic of the trim.
    0 0 0

3. Re: Stained chrome window frames 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John140 View Post
    I have this on the chrome trim strip at the bottonm of the drivers door window. It looks like water marks under the plastic coating of the strip. When I was in the Audi dealer (for something else) I pointed it out to them and also showed them that several other A4's & A6's had the same problem, they didn't seem too bothered. I dont think any amount of polishing will remove these marks as it looks like some chemical has attacked the plastic of the trim.
    Yep that's exactly it. Far too much £ to replace i suspect. bugger it!
    0 0 0

4. Re: Stained chrome window frames 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jon,

Did you manage to sort the staining?

I have exactly the same on my A4 TDI. Wouldnt mind but I only bought the thing four weeks ago.

Its on all the trim under the windows and a bit on the upper trim, which leads me to wonder if its something in window cleaner that does it....

Took it back too the dealer that sold me the car and suprisingly enough they are being as useless as expected. Approached the Audi dealership in Warrington who want 40 notes a strip, thats without fixing.

Considering getting it done it as it I cant help but notice it everytime I look at it now
    0 0 0

5. Re: Stained chrome window frames 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

No. Nothing will get that out it's cream crackered! When i was last at Audi i pointed it out and the bloke said it happens alot, something to do with the chemicals in cleaners or something. Sounds like yours is exactly like mine. Horrible isn't it, really bugs you after cleaning! £40 notes a strip eh? that £160 plus £120 labour £280! i might pay the £160 but i'll be damned if i'm paying Audi £120 and that's if they can do it within the hour otherwise labour will be £240 total £400!!!! bugger that!!!

I'm surprised that with such a common problem there are no other solutions or cheaper options to rectify this that have been found on this excellent forum. Oh well, stump up the £ or live with it?
    0 0 0