1. 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello I have had a look and am guessing this is probably obvious but can anyone tell me how to remove the 12V outlet in dash. I have a road angel and am sick of having to leave the ashtray panel open when in use. I want to wire a hard feed to it. I did have a look at the fuse panel in the right hand side of the dash but struggled with access.

Thanks

Nick

0 0 0

2. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't help with removing the 12v supply I'm afraid but in order to install a hard wire for my Tom Tom, I removed the stereo and hard wired it to the 12v supply for that. It may be an option if you can't find the answer you are looking for.

Cheers
    Iain
    Car - 2006 VW Passat 2.0TDi SE Estate.

0 0 0

3. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I did consider that option and may do so if there is not an alternative. Does anyone know of a readiliy available 12v ignition switched supply which can be accessed in or around the dash area?

Regards

Nick

0 0 0

4. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    RudeNot2 Guest
    Hi all

Any further information available for this thread.?? I recently purchased a Parrot BT phone kit and it requires a switched supply. Cannot for the life of me see how to get the lighter out...

Cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have the same job to do next week, so will report when I've done it.

If it is anything like the Golf, there are two options:
    1. Lift the gear lever surround to get access to the 12V/cigar lighter socket

2. Run a cable to the fuse box and just put a spade connection into an empty fuse connection that is 12V with the ignition switched on. You can find this out by just randomly testing with a voltmeter. Depending on model and trim level, the choice of which one to use will be different for different cars. Don't forget to put a fuse in line though and make sure there are no bare terminals to short out.

Hope this helps.

0 0 0

6. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    RudeNot2 Guest
    Cheers Teflon

Managed to get the front and back right side of the shift gate off but the back left is being stubborn as sin. Maybe nip out and give it another go..

0 0 0

7. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Scotchlock it onto the radio harness, can be removed easily then.

0 0 0

8. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey0123 View Post
    Scotchlock it onto the radio harness, can be removed easily then.
    Problem with this is that both supplies to the radio are permanent live, the ignition switched live for the standard fit radio is electronic, interpreted from the two CANbus wires.

Ideally, for a TomTom, Road Angel or any other accessrory you need an ignition switched live, othewise it is powered up all the time and can flatten the battery if you park up at the airport car park for a week.

0 0 0

9. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently permanently connected my TomTom by buying a ciggie lighter kit for a fiver and wiring it into a spare ignition switched terminal in the fusebox to the right of the dash. There is pleny of room in there for the lighter socket with the TomTom charger connected, and then I have run the cable from the charger under the trim to exit at the right hand side of the windscreen where the Tom Tom lives.

0 0 0

10. Re: 12V cigarette lighter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wired my road angel ignition switched 12V supply from the drivers (offside) fusebox you can easily run a cable past the base of the "a" pillar, took about 30 mins to do. The earth was screwed into one of the mounting screws (see picture)
    Attached Images

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast