Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cannot shut both passenger side doors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    A bizzare fault has developed with my '99 Passat 1.8...
    Simulaeneously, both passenger side doors have decided that they dont want to stay shut any more. In other words when you close them they don't catch, just bounce open again. If it was just the one door I'd suspect that the lock mechanism was sticking and needed a bit of grease, but they both started doing this at the same time, so I reckon this is another one of those Passat central locking issues.

The only way I have manged to get them to stay shut is to slam them REALLY hard.

Has anyone experienced this before, or knows of a fix for it, other than taking it to my local dealer and parting with my life savings.

Thanks,

Will

0 0 0

2. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nightmare!

As soon as i find the thing i am looking for, no one has offered any help!!!

If anyone sees this and can help, thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    You might want to try disconnecting the battery for half an hour and reconnecting.

This worked for me!!!!

Some garage wanted to fix new locks before I found this suggestion on this site I think?

Worth a try!!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the same issue with my drivers door.
    I tried a screwdriver to test the latch mechanism.
    In the working doors, as the screwdriver enters the mech, it clicks once as the catch rotates, then clicks again as you pish it further.
    On the problem drivers door, the latch rotates freely like the others, but doesn't click in either position. As soon as I withdraw the screw driver, it just springs back.
    Whatever mechanism is opperated by the door handle, has stuck in the open position.
    I need to undertand how this works and how to most easily access it and free it off.
    Anyone?

This has nothing to do with the central locking system, as that only opperates when the doors are closed. THis fault developes when you open the door and pull the handle but the mechanism in the handle doesn't release.

0 0 0

5. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my rear drivers side door did this, mucked about with keys and buttons to get it to confuse itself and i eventually got it to shut, but now it wont open, garage said only way for mine is take door card off, but door doesnt open. gonna tackle it when weather gets warmer.

comes up with numerous codes on vagcom, it will be electrics related i reckon. everyone on here seems to have this problem when it gets a bit wet and the wires short under front passenger floor where the module is.
    Subaru broken, sold, Silver Seat Leon Cupra 180 '02' no cupra badge?

0 0 0

6. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Passat has developed this problem and i have taken to locking the door indicidualy to stop me from reopening it and have to slam it shut. Did anyone manage to resolve this issue of the door not catching and have any fresh advice?

0 0 0

7. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I cannot close the drivers door on my Golf MK4, and it springs back similar to some of the above. In my case though, if I simulate the door closing using a screwdriver, I find that when the door handle is operated, the catch mechanism doesn't spring open. It only opens because in normal conditions I am pulling the door open at the same time. I first thought it was frozen up but it has been in the garage at home since New Year, and it is still the same. The door will shut sometimes with a good push, but any harder and I will be having glass break (I think the neighbours already think we've been having rows!).

The car has failed the MOT due to the door not closing properly, and it's too cold outside but I can't open the door wide enough in the garage.

I have gone through the usual WD-40 process but to no avail......

Any suggestions or is it a door card off job......?

0 0 0

8. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this problem when picking my brother up from work one day - he got in the car and was closed it but it just sprung back. I thought "you've broken it, so you can pay for it to be fixed ".

In the end, I pressed the open lock button on the drivers side arm rest and it closed. I would try that (I haven't read the whole post so don't know if this has been suggested) as it worked for me.

0 0 0

9. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tried the locking/unlocking from the inside, didnt work. Any thoughts anyone? Been remembering not to open the door but ever now and then forget, much to the delight of the wife, much door bouncing proceeds. Not sure where to start in solving this problem.

0 0 0

10. Re: Cannot shut both passenger side doors! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Faulty locks are quite common and the only way to establish what is wrong is to take off the trim and the carrier plate behind, to get a good look at the lock. It's worth doing this because it is not funny when it jams shut.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast