1. Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know how I can adjust the onboard computer to report miles to empty more accurately?

I'm a bit narked that half a fuel tank on the gauge is not replicated in the computer display

Cheers

Gary

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is yours not accurate ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The computer diplay is telling you real time fuel consumption ie if you drive like u r now matey you will only get x amount of miles out of your tank back ur foot of a little and watch how the figure increases. Ed

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What I want to do is....

Something I have read on here somewhere but cannot find any longer, is to set the dist value of the onboard computer (via vag-com I think) to a more sensible value in order that the average MPG is correctly read rather than being about 3-5MPG off.

I'm sure you all have seen that the average MPG computed by the car is some way off the actual MPG calculated from your distance v. money spent on fuel?

If you haven't I'll take the car in and have it looked at!

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My comp is pretty accurate when i first bought the car the fuel gaugewas well in to the red and the computer went down to 5 miles before i got to filling station. although i have not been down this low since(only been down to 30 miles) i have faith in the computer and fuel gauge reading same.

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The miles to empty is not 100% accurate .just a rough guide, when fuel is low it jumps down in stages of 5 miles.
    Ive had mine down to zero miles and still made it to the nearest fuel station,would not recommend it tho.

The maximum miles I have had to a full tank is 597 miles, anyone had more miles than that

tdi sport 130

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Flipkey,

Since buying my '03 130 Sport the computer says I'm averaging about 47 mpg - which for a 62 litre tank would equate to 641 miles to a tank. I do have a very light foot though!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tobwari View Post
    Hello Flipkey,

Since buying my '03 130 Sport the computer says I'm averaging about 47 mpg - which for a 62 litre tank would equate to 641 miles to a tank. I do have a very light foot though!!
    Well you certainly beat my mpg, I must say I do have a quick blast every now and then , to clear the exhaust you understand.

A few years ago I had a passat 110 se, and managed 670 miles brim to brim.

cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, before my SE 130PD was taken away from me, it covered a smidge over 700 miles on a tank.

This was a car that had covered about 22k and it was in August

The Passat I have now has covered 99k and achieves upto 630 miles to a tank.

But, going back to my original point.

Filling up the tank results in the onboard computer reading around 730 miles.

This is clearly rubbish and I think you can tell the computer to understand that the expected value should be more like 600 miles when full. This would reduce the errant readings during useage of a tankful of D and give a more accurate forecast of when to refill.

The thread I need is on here somewhere... I just need to find it

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B5.5 - Miles to Empty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    here are a few useful links for your reference :

Link Central

MPG Adjustment

Vagcom Tweaks

i can't lay my hands on the thread i remember reading either, but if i do, i shall post the link up for you

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast