1. Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had to share this one with you. Broken Lupo door lock with key stuck in. Main agents £45 + £32.50 labour +VAT.
    Solution: Remove lock - one hex socket behind blank in door. Disemble lock assembly by depressing central paddle and allowing retaining ring to slide out. (careful it's spring-loaded)
    Purchase Polo replacement lock part and file off central lug until flush. - see attachments.
    I also trimmed down the other two lugs as they were a millimeter or so longer than broken part. I also replaced spring.
    To assemble tension spring round the central post and engage ends around lugs on replaced lock part. Replace top retaining ring and push locking ring into position, ensuring small lugs from paddle slot into it to retain in position.
    Total cost £3.54 incl.. My main agents were very helpful in supplying the parts off the shelf, although they obviously did not recommend modifying the Popo part.
    A nice job for those winter evenings.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello and welcome
    no matter how you try you always come back to what you first started

0 0 0

3. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    rashaw Guest
    Hi,
    How did you manage to get the spring re-assembled into the lock? I've been struggling for about an hour to get my Polo's lock mech back together but I can't work out how to lock the spring!
    Any clues would be appreciated, especially where the bent back spring ends are to be located.
    Thanks,

Rob

0 0 0

4. Thumbs up Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob,
    yes, very tricky. What I did was to locate the RH one (as you look on top with the mechanism set to neutral - I think this is with all the lugs aligned with the notch) behind the post - see picture of filed down component. Then tension up the spring clockwise until it is held behind the LH post - about 150 degrees. I used my thumb nail, but could damage it, you may have to have the paddle component close to stop spring coming off. You will see that there is also corrisponding lips and clearance cut-out in body. You have to get the tang into those as well. (note: When you turn key either way, spring holds against the appropriate lip to give you spring in either direction, the tang of the spring clearing the body because of cut-out)
    Once I had worked out that, the assembly was relatively easy, just a whole load of patience!

Hope it works out,

Dave

0 0 0

5. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where did you get the polo part from? I am doing a similar repair on a passat and only need this bit.

I put together the non fixed lock relatively easily by laying the parts out in correct angular sequence whilst pushing down key end onto workbench

complete kits on ebay seem cheap enough but don't need all parts shown

martin

0 0 0

6. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought my parts from VW main agents - Loders in Yeovil. The parts were listed and in stock under Polo door lock breakdown of parts. No breakdown for Lupo though, so had to modify Polo part.

Incidently, my lock, after working perfectly for a couple of weeks, now is exhibiting similar characteristics as before, ie the spring return is not operating correctly. It feels that the spring has come out of tension again, which was the pre-cursor to the jamming and breakup of internal part I replaced. So I guess the thing is under-engineered and the outer stop for the spring worn.

0 0 0

7. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    rashaw Guest
    I've managed to fit my replacement lock parts, including the spring tensioning. I pushed the spring down with the paddle and used a screwdriver to turn the spring onto the tab.

I agree, these parts are prone to fail. I dismantled my working lock to see how it fitted together and the paddle housing fell apart in my hands!

The ebay seller for these parts also gives you a step by step photo guide to fitting it, so it may be worth ordering from them (Eurolockz @ £14.99 + £1.99 p&p) otherwise any VW dealer is a cheap option.

0 0 0

8. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For information - this fault appears to be what I have on my 1999, T Reg Seat Cordoba. Just highlighting as may be another source of parts and information when looking at solving these problems.

0 0 0

9. Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    davidsaglover,

What a star! Ex marine eng and suffering incipient loss of self esteem with Polo lock until I read your instructions re spring location & pre-tensioning.
    Many thanks.

0 0 0

10. Question Re: Lupo door lock repair 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsaglover View Post
    I bought my parts from VW main agents - Loders in Yeovil. The parts were listed and in stock under Polo door lock breakdown of parts. No breakdown for Lupo though, so had to modify Polo part.

Incidently, my lock, after working perfectly for a couple of weeks, now is exhibiting similar characteristics as before, ie the spring return is not operating correctly. It feels that the spring has come out of tension again, which was the pre-cursor to the jamming and breakup of internal part I replaced. So I guess the thing is under-engineered and the outer stop for the spring worn.
    Do you happen to know the part number by any chance?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast