1. Unhappy Oil filter change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just changed the oil on my TDi sport and changed all the filters except the oil filter, because I could not get the ******* undone !!

So first question where can you get the special socket to undo the filter housing and can you change the oil filter with out draining the system ?

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil filter change 
    westie383 Guest
    Hi,
    I've also just changed the oil & filter on my 2001 130 TDI, and the filter housing was a pig to get undone, as the last time it was done it had been in for a service and was particulally tight. The only filter wrench I had was a chain type, which, although did the job, I would not recommend using as you can see the plastic housing flexing, and if it breaks, your really up the creek.
    Have a look at VAG Parts, under VW - Passat - Service Parts, and they're at the bottom of the page. Not the cheapest I've seen (there are others on eBay), but they look the most substantial. Incidently, there is a torque figure stamped on the plastic cover for refitting. I'm definately getting one before the next oil change.
    Hope this helps.
    Trev.

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil filter change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadhatter View Post
    Just changed the oil on my TDi sport and changed all the filters except the oil filter, because I could not get the ******* undone !!

So first question where can you get the special socket to undo the filter housing and can you change the oil filter with out draining the system ?
    Hi
    I chnaged the oil filter on mine and it was apain in the **** but it can be done, you don't want to use the chain, it can crack the casing. I just used a normal cloth oil filter remover but it did take the good part of an hour to do but did come off.
    Belive me its worth it.
    Art is get as much space to turn at once

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil filter change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have found one on ebay. I had a webbing type filter remover but no amount of force could get it to move, and I don't want to break it.

Life lesson learned always slacken off the oil filter before draining oil.

By the looks of it I should be able to change the filter element with out having to drain the oil again (and waste £30) or is that just wishful thinking and I am going to get oil all over the road ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil filter change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got the tool yesterday and changed the filter today. You can quite happily change the oil filter with out draining the oil.

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil filter change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same thing last weekend, I tried every type of oil filter wrench that i could find and nothing could shift it.

Ordered this VW tool 3417 https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onean...dex.shopscript

It came of straight away with very little force. Well worth the money if you are going to service your car regularly. You can also Torque the new filter back up to the recomended 25Nm.

Cheers Ben

0 0 0