1. Oil Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am planning on doing an Engine Oil Change on my 1997 Passat TDi this weekend, but am a little unsure as to what oil to replace the current stuff with.

The reccomended (in Halfords) seems to be a 0w - 30 but the car smokes a bit occasionally, so was thinking of a 5w to see if this reduces the amount of smoke (i know i'll never be able to completely stop it).

I was also looking at using the Castrol Edge TD range, does anyone have any preferences as to what they use in their Diesel Passats?

Simon
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, what sort of smoke is when your car smokes black or blue ? I have been using Mobil 1 turbodiesel 0w40 for about 6 years in all the cars i had and it keeps the engine clean plus the oil level would not drop at all ! I never used Castrol as i believe they a bit misleading with theirs oils but guess what? the dealer recomends them ! You want the best protection for your engine ? then get fully syntethic oil. Just let us know what mileage your car has so far. Maybe its not too late to switch and enjoy the benefits.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply,

The one i have been using i think was a 0w -30 Castrol Oil, and the smoke (i think) appears to be black, however it is not the thick black smoke i see pouring from the back of some other Diesel's as it is a lot less dense.

The car has done a fraction over 110,000 miles.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to run my Golf on mobil 1 and my XR3i before that. I think when it comes to something as important as oil buy the best you can afford. I found Costco was about the cheapest I could find for mobil 1. I might have been over the top but I used to change it every 5000 miles and never had any oil problems. There are plenty of threads about Oil, you could always e-mail or PM oilman on this forum for good advice.

Regards Boardboy
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there. I think someone has mentioned using fully synthetic oil and I am of the same mind. I have used it for over 7 years now and the motor doesn't do smoke or use oil. I get mine from the local shop at £16.50/gallon so it isn't that bad price wise. Regards, Twosox.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look in our local Costco and try the Mobil 1 oil as suggested.

Fingers crossed, i'll soon be another Fully Synthetic convert
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgsxr6 View Post
    Thanks for your reply,

The one i have been using i think was a 0w -30 Castrol Oil, and the smoke (i think) appears to be black, however it is not the thick black smoke i see pouring from the back of some other Diesel's as it is a lot less dense.

The car has done a fraction over 110,000 miles.
    Vw quotes that their engine with the proper maintenance and oil done by the book should last 1350000 miles without needing an overhaul. I have seen many 100 k vag engines where the crosshatching was still visible onto the cylinders walls. Just buy the best you could afford and change the filter every single time. 5000 miles oil interval for fully syntetic oil is waay too early i wouldnot change before 7500 as the protective additives in the oil does not get activated before about 3500-4500 miles so you trowing money on the window.
    0 0 0