Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Tiptronic Limp Home Mode

1. Tiptronic Limp Home Mode 
    ddreeves Guest
    I have noted a number of entries regarding occassional issues, esepcially when cold, of a Tiptronic box dropping into limp home mode ... this describes mine. Perhaps 3 mornings out of 5 I will need to stop the car about 500 yds from home and restart, this usually clears the issue. it has only just increased in frequency from literally occasionally to this perhaps regular occurrence.

Is there any guideline as to when it needs to be looked at, since it isn't a major issue to restart, and it doesn't occur at any other time, so, is not apparently a danger issue.

Any advice on when, and what to address appreciated - plus, any small business in the Maidenhead-Reading area who is competent to work on this 2002 Passat 130 TDI Estate, pls let me know.

0 0 0

2. Re: Tiptronic Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I New here ,so I don't if this message is to one individual or everyone ,but the problems related to the tiptronic is caused by TCM (transmission control module) it makes the transmission shift into "safe mode" 3rd gear , when there is a solid bar across the gear selector light ,driving it is not good on the trans. I'm trying to find this elusive TCM $1300.00 for a new one ,any advice or direction on obtain one of these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 0 0

3. Re: Tiptronic Limp Home Mode 
    ddreeves Guest
    Actually, my symptons are different - the car is actually in either 2nd or 3rd, but stays where it is, and in fact what I now suspct is that this is the Turbo Over/Under boost issue. Since i can drive the car in this mode, it will kick down, but without the turbo its all noise and no go. Stop & restart sorts it out, and rarely does it repeat itself in the same journey.

Shortly after this posting I ended up doing about 1,500 miles in a week on motorways, and for three further weeks the car was faultless, the problem has just returned to about 3 out of 5 times again.

I will need to work out if the info I have seen about stripping and cleaning the turbo is a job I can do myself with a little DIY capability (but mostly on a Triumph GT6), or if I can find someone to do this at a reasonable cost.

0 0 0

4. Re: Tiptronic Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the car truly is in "limp mode" then it is in 3rd gear always,unless you restart it again,until your driving down the road at 70 mph ex. then you suddenly jerk the trans. into 3rd gear is the same result the "limp mode" will do,or if you don't restart or reset it ,your taking off in 3rd gear and it would be similar to trying to take off in a manual in third gear instead of 1st, sure it will do it ,but it scorches the clutch,or in this case clutches ,NOT good on the trans.If the trans. will shift down then perhaps the turbo is involved ,but if it won't "kick down"then its solely the trans.

0 0 0

5. Re: Tiptronic Limp Home Mode 
    ddreeves Guest
    Thanks for confirmation, I am no great mechanic - then it is clear, I have a Turbo problem, not transmission. The box moves up and down freely, and has kick down when a lose all the go, the tiptronic also works. So, pretty certain that I should end this thread and join the many on the Turbo over boost issue I have seen as a common problem. Thx

0 0 0