1. VW Golf Mk4 Glove Box Lid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2001 Mk4 Golf and the glove box lid mechanism has failed. Can anyone tell me how to replace it, I think the centre consul has to come out?
    Step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Glove box 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi hat 004
    I had a similar problem on my girlfriends MK III golf. I removed the parcel shelf under the glove box. Then removed the screws at the bottom of the glove box, where the door hinges from. This left me enough room to lift the bottom of the glove box door up, not by much. Using a torch and a long screwdriver I unscrewed the top staple peice that held the lock and I was in. The parts guy at my local dealership said the workshop guys have a special tool for getting in to the glove box when the lock fails. I don't know how much differant the MK IV is to the III, but I hope it helps.
    Good Luck.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello hat004

How did you fix your glove box in the end..?

Thanks

0 0 0

4. VW Golf Mk4 Glove Box Lid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't actually managed to fix it yet!
    Apparently it's quite a long job as the central consul has to come out in order to get at one of the screws that hold the glove box in place. Also you have to be realy careful when changing the lock as apparently it can actually fall to pieces when it is removed from the old lid. I am contemplating getting it done at my local dealership.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Blimey...sounds like fun, going to attempt mine tomorrow - will let you know how it turns out..!!

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf Mk4 Glove Box Lid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This problem of the glovebox handle braking off when opening is very common.
    I have just been round all the scrap yards in Leicester this morning. They all said the same, that these parts go very quick when available.
    The easiest way to open the glovebox after the handle brakes off, is by breaking another part and then having to replace that also.
    When My wife broke ours, we were on holiday and she was trying to open it to get an important prescription out. The only way I found to open it quickly was to get both hands on top of the lid and yank it hard! Thus breaking the plastic catch inside the rear section of the mechanism.
    As a result, I need 2 parts to get it working again.
    The inside cover easily unscrews and the handle mounting can be unclipped and pushed out.
    Un-less anyone knows of an alternative supplier for these 2 parts, I may have to go my VW main dealer and get raped and pillaged for parts that will cost VW somewhere in the region £2/3.
    I would be surprised if I was to get much change out of £50.

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf Mk4 Glove Box Lid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From looking on eBay for parts. Just realised I've been a numpty. I've actually have a MK3 golf estate not a Mk4.
    So what I've put probably has no relevance to the MK4 glove box!!
    Sorry.

0 0 0