1. Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    On my way to work yesterday approaching a roundabout as I applied the brake all I got was a solid pedal, no movement at all!, the car didn't slow so pumping the brake had no affect either! had to use the hand brake to stop the car (scared the cr** out of me!) managed to get to my local garage! driving very carefully! they say the vacuum pump has gone, recon on about £450.00 to replace it....

Does this sound like a fair deal?? they say it's a dealer part only? I've not called them to check. Any input people??

As the car is in bits I feel I've little choice!

0 0 0

2. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hope not! the same thing happend to me this morning!! luckly i had just finished my 20 mile trip to work and was just rolling in the the car park!!!
    Anyone with any suggestions!!????

0 0 0

3. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the vacuum pump has gone as they say.

0 0 0

4. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, back again, I've just called the dealer and the vacuum pump only costs £141.40 for my 1.9TDI,SE but I'm still waiting on a quote to fit it by the dealer,as I think the guy who has my car now maybe trying to have my eyes out

0 0 0

5. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the aa come round to have a look and as soon as i drive the brakes work but if i apply the brakes 2 or 3 times they stop???
    the vacuum still works??

0 0 0

6. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be the servo unit or the vacuum hose?

0 0 0

7. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right i have taken the car to a friend who owns a garage, and as he went to remove a pipe from the servo it broke but he also found some water in there as well !!!!! he has orderd a new pipe tomorrow and while he was on the phone vw said that the valve in the pipe can get glogged which can be quite common so hopfully this should sought it out!! (or maybe i am just hoping???)
    i will ley you know what happends tommorow!!

0 0 0

8. Angry Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Still waiting for the dealer to get back in touch about the price to fit the thing! although when I arrived home from work tonight there was a message from them giving me a price to fit a hose??

Now the guy who has my car has just called to say the part is now in front of him, I can pick it up tomorrow/today,late afternoon, even, the car that is! and the price has come down to £366.00

Or because the service count down is at 1000,mls he could do it all for £560.00
    should I snap his hand off?

0 0 0

9. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER View Post
    Still waiting for the dealer to get back in touch about the price to fit the thing! although when I arrived home from work tonight there was a message from them giving me a price to fit a hose??

Now the guy who has my car has just called to say the part is now in front of him, I can pick it up tomorrow/today,late afternoon, even, the car that is! and the price has come down to £366.00

Or because the service count down is at 1000,mls he could do it all for £560.00
    should I snap his hand off?
    Sounds like you have the same problem - the vacuum servo hose (which includes the check valve) needs replacing. I would have thought £366 is rather a lot for replacing a hose...

0 0 0

10. Re: Braking system failure! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As my car is already in bits with the garage, I'm really at their mercy, I really need the car back! so have opted to just pay them what they are asking, as soon as I can I'll be taking the car to the dealer to ask them to check that the work has been carried out to the extent to justify the price to fit that vacuum pump? as quoted by the garage not the dealer £360. I've asked the garage to print me off a detailed job sheet so I know what they are charging me forI'll take this along to the dealer also for reference...

I guess the service cost would have been around the £200. mark anyway!

I'll be back!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast