1. Question Climatronic Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The climatronic AC unit display is blank and the fans blow out skin blisteringly hot air. the display first went weird and kind of froze up but I could still still the units but now it is blank and I have no control over it.
    Anyone have any Ideas. I is always nice to be warm but having to drive around in my underpants all the time is getting me funny looks.

Cheers

Ewan (Golf GT TDI 02)

0 0 0

2. Re: Climatronic Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When the fuse on mine was disconnected, the unit went blank and all fans stopped. So I doubt it is a fuse, sounds more like something a little more terminal. Can you get it plugged into vagcom ?

If not, possibly you could try swapping it for another unit.
    52 plate Golf GT TDi

0 0 0

3. Re: Climatronic Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Not sure how to make a new post? So replied to this one as it matches my issue - Which is a Dead No lights/power? ) Climatronic unit. My Car is a VW Golf mk4 1.8T Estate and over a year ago the Fan/blower Climatronic stopped working. Initially The fan was on full but the Climatronic unit had no lights on so I could not stop the Fan. So had to remove the 7.5a Fuse, which stopped the fan. But I'm faced with a 2nd winter driving the car without any fan/Heat to clear the windscreen, which is really annoying on cold damp days when I have to constantly wipe the windscreen while I'm driving.. Anyway I cannot afford to go to a garage to do a error test etc, I've changed the relay unit under the battery which I was told was the most likely cause, but it did not fix it. I've taken the Climatronic unit out and it looks okay? Surely nothing can go wrong with that? as it's just a thin plastic display with connectors & lights. It's obviously not a fuse problem either as the fan was working on full before I removed the Fuse. Any new ideas please as to something I could do to fix it? I've also looked at getting a 12v plug in Fan but all the reviews say they are rubbish..

0 0 0

4. Re: Climatronic Dead 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I had a problem with my display blanking occasionally.

I had already replaced it with a used one from Ebay, after water got into the display when I left a front window open during a thunderstorm.

I fixed it by re-soldering the connections between the PCB and the display panel, as shown here AUDI VW Skoda B5 Climate Control Display Repair - YouTube

You have to be very careful with the screws holding the thing together, as the female threads strip easily, and it's difficult to separate the two parts. I managed to glue mine back together with some polyester type stuff I used to stick pvc panels to the wall. A bit fiddly, but it's impossible to find a new unit.

Incidentally, some units have incandescent bulbs for the backlighting and others use LEDs. They are not interchangeable.

Still working and hanging together after 3 years
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0