Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Now that the weather has got colder I've noticed that after short journeys there appears to be a fan operating towards the rear of the car once ignition is turned off, and a greying smoke coming from the NSR in the exhaust area.

Is this normal?! I'm used to Subarus which clunk and chatter as they cool but this is new to me!

Help!

Thanks,
    Martin

0 0 0

2. Wink Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart8v View Post
    Hi there,

Now that the weather has got colder I've noticed that after short journeys there appears to be a fan operating towards the rear of the car once ignition is turned off, and a greying smoke coming from the NSR in the exhaust area.

Is this normal?! I'm used to Subarus which clunk and chatter as they cool but this is new to me!

Help!

Thanks,
    Martin
    Hi there...That'll be your auxiliary heater firing up. All quite normal!!

Its a small diesel powered heater that is designed to warm the heating system up (as coolant flows through it) when the car is cold.

And unless the smoke is thick accrid diesel smoke (like mine was until I fixed it earlier today ) then I wouldn't worry about it. When I say thick smoke...mine could have doubled as a dry ice machine in a nightclub!!

I'm sure I read that it only operates when the outside temperature drops below 10 degrees (i think!!)

If you have a look on the side panel behind the N/S seat on the middle row you'll find the vent that SHOULD be blowing hot air out.

If it doesn't get hot after running for a while you may need the glow plug inside replacing...if this fails then its 'smoke smoke smoke!!!'

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

Roj
    Elwood: It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it!

0 0 0

3. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's great- thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on it as the winter coems on. It only runs for a minute or so after switching off the engine and doesn't seem to be getting worse in the smoke dept!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

0 0 0

4. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr OV51LTA View Post
    Hi there...That'll be your auxiliary heater firing up. All quite normal!!

Its a small diesel powered heater that is designed to warm the heating system up (as coolant flows through it) when the car is cold.

And unless the smoke is thick accrid diesel smoke (like mine was until I fixed it earlier today ) then I wouldn't worry about it. When I say thick smoke...mine could have doubled as a dry ice machine in a nightclub!!

If it doesn't get hot after running for a while you may need the glow plug inside replacing...if this fails then its 'smoke smoke smoke!!!'

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

Roj
    Hi Roj,

Right- the dry ice machine has arrived!! Do you have the VAG part number for the glow plug? Also, is it an easy fix? I'm pretty mechanically minded with old Golfs etc but have not yet wielded a spanner in anger on the bus.....

Cheers,
    Martin

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart8v View Post
    Hi Roj,

Right- the dry ice machine has arrived!! Do you have the VAG part number for the glow plug? Also, is it an easy fix? I'm pretty mechanically minded with old Golfs etc but have not yet wielded a spanner in anger on the bus.....

Cheers,
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

According to the printout that my mate from GSF gave me (which came direct from the VAG parts computer!!) the VAG part no is 7M3 963 319A and it's item no 14 on the parts list.

Alternatively you could visit your local GSF and quote the VAG part no.

They can order it in and is around £20inc VAT.

Let me know if or when you get one sorted and i'll type up the procedure for replacing said faulty item!!!

Speak soon,

Roj
    Elwood: It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

0 0 0

6. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great stuff- thanks!

will drop you a line when I have the part, assuming I can see thru the smoke.....!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Come on, don't keep us waiting ..... what is the procedure for replacing the bl........y glow plug.

We're all freezing out here!!!

0 0 0

8. Wink Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    Come on, don't keep us waiting ..... what is the procedure for replacing the bl........y glow plug.

We're all freezing out here!!!
    I'm feeling your pain...well I was!!

Its been a couple of weeks since I did mine,I'll have a quick look underneath at the weekend so I get the positions of things correctly and i'll write it up so you can stop wearing your thermals in the car!!!

Cheers, Roj

0 0 0

9. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks Roj

Waiting and shivering .

0 0 0

10. Re: Smoke from mid-box area 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK- Part ordered, all I need now is the write up........!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast