1. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a number of queries along a similar line regarding 7 speed DSG gearbox service procedures and whilst I have done several online searches, discussions can get a bit confusing with comments about dry clutch versions, 6 speed versions , transverse versions fitted to other VAG cars, etc .

Hopefully someone maybe able to help clarify some specific queries, I am about to collect a 2016 Facelift Audi A6 Avant 3.0 litre TDI quattro with the 270ps engine.

I believe these cars are fitted with the longitudinal D 501 type of DSG gearbox, which may or may not have been modified for the 270pd 3.0 litre tdi torque output?

Can someone confirm if this gearbox/car will include the internal filter/strainer within the DSG box oil pan?

I believe the latest DSG service on the car (done recently) will have only involved changing the external filter and draining the DSG box via the drain plug and will not have involved removing the DSG oil pan and internal filter, which I understand probably allows more of the DSG oil to be drained from the transmission?

If the oil pan internal filter is changed (internal filter and new gaskets required, etc) and more oil drained, am I correct in my understanding that to refill the correct amount of oil, the engine needs to be run and the live temperature of the DSG oil monitored to circa 38-42 degrees and you put the gear selector (foot on brake) through all positions for a few seconds each and then add more oil, until it stars to drain again from the level plug?

If I have understood things correctly, not doing the latter items (drop oil pan, change internal filter , warm DSG gearbox oil up, live temp monitor, etc) is the reason why the factory service (external filter and refill only) only gets about 4.5 litres in each change, as opposed to nearer 6-6.5 litres (when you drop the oil pan , etc , etc)? Is that correct?

Are there any other drive train related oils and filters that need changing on this type of car fitted with a 7 speed wet clutch Stronic DSG (but Audi say are sealed for life), e.g. oil for the gearbox as opposed to the dual clutch transmission (separate drain and fill plugs and different oil from the DSG transmission oil?) and are there transfer boxes / haldex couplings, and /or differentials that may also need an oil change occasionally to keep them running sweet over high miles? I understand these won't be on the Audi service schedule as they say sealed for life, but are preventative maintenance over long term /high miles ownership?

I appreciate that's a lot of queries, but it can get confusing from various online searches exactly what is the best way to service this gearbox and drive train fitted to the facelift A6, C7 3.0 litre TDI quattro version cars.

I will appreciate any corrections, or advice about this if I have got any of my understandings wrong, since my default approach to my cars is I want them to run for a long time (years and miles) and I don't stint on the oil and fluid changes to help keep them that way.

cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1842 Post(s)
    It will have the 0B5 (AKA DL501) wet clutch box which is THE singular most unreliable piece of **** gearbox I have ever come across in my 45 years in this trade, an absolutely shameful product that is so bad even Audi themselves will not recondition them and only supply brand new outright in most cases, typically £11694 plus fitting. We had one in last week, a 2014 A5 TDI quattro cabrio, hard (very) take up in first, he asked us to change the oil and I warned him it was unlikely to work and it didn't. Do you know the cars VIN or PM me the reg, I will check its history?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, it is what it is.
    No issues currently with gearbox on the test drive, but I am keen to make sure I change the oils regularly and in the right way i the future to try and keep it running properly.

Do I have my thoughts correct as to what should be changed for the DSG service (external and internal filter, etc) and how the refill work should be done (monitor live DSG oil temp, work selector through gears, and then add more oil, etc)?

Are there other oils to change in the drive chain that Audi say are sealed for life, but can be changed to help the car keep running over several years to come?
    Thanks for your help.
    cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PM sent with VIN and reg number

0 0 0

5. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1842 Post(s)
    The specific version code for the box is PLX

That car has been on the longlife schedule with some BIG intervals, what is the current mileage? The fluid and filters are due at 80K, we suggest half that.

Date of delivery: 2016-03-17
    Entry Type of service Dealership Date of performing operations Mileage/km Complete record
    Service record Inspection with oil change
    TN24014925
    2023-03-01 70897 mi
    Service record Inspection with Oil change (flexible)
    TN24023503
    2021-03-06 53637 mi
    Workshop remark Workshop remark
    GB670210 Audi service
    2019-02-25 36826 mi
    Service record Delivery inspection
    GB619760 Audi service
    2016-02-15 8 mi

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher

Many thanks for looking that up.

Mileage now is circa 79K miles>

It had some extensive coolant system repair work done at circa Dec23, which included an engine oil and filter change, because of the bits they were repairing then, this won't be on the Audi digital records.

Yes there were some extended service (mileage intervals) in first few years, but there have been more frequent engine oil changes verses mileage in the recent past.

Miles per year (during covid and since) has also been less than in the early years.

I tend to change engine oil/filter fixed annually irrespective of mileage. And full inspections service at 24 months, with all other filters/fluids changed as required by time or miles, which ever is the sooner.

I think some people misunderstand the Audi extended service interval and see it is every 2 years, but it's not. It's a high annual mileage thing to extend out to say 18k miles for each oil change if you are doing somewhat more than 10k miles a year (i.e. oil change every 14-16 months, based on high miles driven per year). It's not a fixed 2 years service schedule, but some people unfortunately treat it a such.

Fuel filter, air filer and pollen filter were last done 9k miles ago. And I will change them on, or slightly before the service schedule specified time

In my ownership, I always change engine oil/filter every 12 months irrespective of mileage. And will get break fluid , etc changed as part of my first couple of weeks of ownership with the car.

I don't like to skimp on oil, filters, or other fluid changes as that has helped me get 180k miles out of my old A6 C6 3.0 tdi.

It will probably be better serviced in my ownership, rest assured.

I have some good independent garages near me and I generally trust their work, but don't want to be told that "it's sealed for life" or "it's not on the Audi service schedule", when I want the car to have the best chance of running well for another 80k miles or so.

DSG fluid and external filter is being done as part of the preparation of the car for sale, but I suspect it will just be the "simple" Audi service schedule swap, not changing the internal filter in the oil pan, if there is one?

But my queries are about the process to do a more thorough DSG oil change (is there an internal filter in the DSG oil pan? ) how to refill properly if that internal filter is changed by dropping the that oil pan (partly bought on by the confusion on some sites that only 4.5 litres go in under the external filter/oil drain change vs there being nearer 6.5 litres if you drop the DSG oil pan, warm DSG oil up properly, etc) .

I would like to be able to talk to my independent VW garage with some knowledge about what I want done in the DSG service. And in relation to any gearbox, haldex coupling, differential fluids that could (and should) be changed even though they aren't on the official Audi service schedule if you plan to keep the car on the road for a while / high miles.

I just don't know what other gearbox, differential , haldex oils , etc can be changed that Audi don't specify in the service schedule

As I say, I try to look after / get all the fluids I can changed at suitable intervals to help the car just run smoothly over the coming years.

Looking to have the car for 6-8 years from now and will be doing about 10k-14k miles a year in it, I won't be using any extended service intervals, but regularly changing what should be changed when it's due (or a little before it's due) .

I appreciate your time to look at this and your help. I probably owe you a beer.
    cheers

0 0 0

7. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1842 Post(s)
    Good indis sign up to the Digital Service System, even Halfords do it! The chnage is very clearly stated as being due as I guessed at 80K and the system said now, ther are two filters, one in the sump and one in a housing on the side and we purge the system to get as much out as possible. Sometimes we do all three oils in the box but it gets expensive

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher

I don't know who/where the coolant system work was done, I don't have the invoice in front of me , I'll get that when I pick the car up, I only have a printout from my local Audi centre which doesn't show the coolant system work (including engine oil change) on it

I will get a proper DSG oil change done shortly, including the filter in the oil pan.

What are the other oils in the gearbox and drive train?

I am assuming separate filler/drain plugs for these as I wouldn't expect them to be using DSG oil?

I appreciate it may be expensive but I will look to get these done to start ownership of the car off in the right way.

cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1842 Post(s)
    There are front and centre diff oils

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Stronic gearbox service 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It will have the 0B5 (AKA DL501) wet clutch box which is THE singular most unreliable piece of **** gearbox I have ever come across in my 45 years in this trade, an absolutely shameful product that is so bad even Audi themselves will not recondition them and only supply brand new outright in most cases, typically £11694 plus fitting. We had one in last week, a 2014 A5 TDI quattro cabrio, hard (very) take up in first, he asked us to change the oil and I warned him it was unlikely to work and it didn't. Do you know the cars VIN or PM me the reg, I will check its history?
    So what specifically goes wrong with them then? What was the outcome and fix in the above example?

I though all main dealer policies is to replace rather than repair gearboxes? Mercedes started it decades ago, as it was not good for their brand image if a repaired gearbox went wrong again, and the cars can be repaired very quickly with a new box.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast