Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am in the process of retro fitting a 1999 Model A4 B5 with a RNS Sat Nav C-Navi.

I have managed to get all the parts required, either through eBay, VAG Parts, or Audi Dealership, but I have now discovered that I have a slight problem, the new style fog light switches for the rear foglights are non latching, unlike the original fog light switch that was installed in the car.

The new fog light switch has the part number 8D0 941 563.

I have checked in ETOS, and see that this is the correct part number for that age of car, since I have converted from a single to double din chassis as I am going from the Concert Tape Deck to the Nav plus unit.

Are there any latching switches out there, or will I now also need to invest in the fog lights control unit as well, or design a latching relay circuit if I can't find out the number for the control unit.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated, as I want to keep the Audi look in the car, with the advantage of being able to get parts for it if required!

0 0 0

2. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a relay/control unit thats needed .The relay is 8D0 907 701A @ £44.34+vat(as quoted from VAG parts)
    Mine is on order to fit the double din to mine, did you sus the hazards??
    1.8t conversion : SP51x OUTLAW Turbo @ 25psi : Vmaxx Coils : 6 Speed 'Box : GripForce Stg 3 Clutch : S4 Leather : Facelift Console
    Anyone want to swap my A4 for an A3 or similar?? PM me
    243 bhp @ 6415 / 275 torques @ 3370 Chipped UK Rules

0 0 0

3. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cheated with the hazards, lol!

I prised the covers off of both switches, removed the inner shielding from the new trianangular switch, which is only really there to shade the LED's into the lighting up the visible part of the switch, then I fitted the new red cover onto the old switch housing.

This keeps the look of the new centre console intact, without the need to resort to a major wiring mod in the centre console.

Cheating I know, but a damned sight less head scratching than I initially had when I looked at it.

Thanks for the advice about the foglights control unit.

I thought it was going to have to be a case of buying it!

Better get an order placed with VAG Parts, cos I will need two blanks and a new gearshift gaiter by the looks of it too! DOH!!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I found an article in the AudiWorld Tech articles about problems with the hazard switch, and I have "borrowed" (ahem) one of the photos which shows how they removed the red cover.

The size of your old switch is exactly the same, so shouldn't be a problem to replace the old one.

Hope that helps.

0 0 0

5. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WOW Thats easier than the rewire job i had in mind
    1.8t conversion : SP51x OUTLAW Turbo @ 25psi : Vmaxx Coils : 6 Speed 'Box : GripForce Stg 3 Clutch : S4 Leather : Facelift Console

0 0 0

6. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wish the fog light mod was going to be that easy!

The more I try to get this installed, the more problems I seem to come across!

My latest problem is with the ducting for the rear footwell heating!

The routing that the ducts take is stopping me from getting the ashtray all the way home!

I've had a look in ETOS and there are different part numbers for the ducting in the 2000 model A4, looks like I will try them and see if that helps!

Nothing ever goes smoothly, lol!

0 0 0

7. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DAMN, I wish i knew this before the guy i bought it all from lobbed it all away. it looks like i will be dremeling and duct taping methinks

0 0 0

8. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know the feeling!

Nobody ever says in any of the how to's that I have seen, that if you are coming from a single din B5, that there are so many parts , apart from what you can see anyway!

I've also got the headlight range adjustment on my car, but I realised that I would have to get a different drivers tray and switch, even before I saw the mod, because of the fact that I have a version of ETOS, which allows me to see the different part numbers!

Even then, I have still found that there have been parts on different pages which have been hidden, and i'm only finding out now that I can't get things to work, or fit, that they were actually needed as well!

I might try and write a how to, and post it here, about the problems that I have encountered, then, if someone has a car which doesn't have the switches and stuff already fitted, they won't come across the same problems that I have!

Have you tried to fit your one yet, or are you still planning it?

0 0 0

9. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had the parts for ages, but i don't like to tackle stuff till i know what to expect, or how to overcome problems etc as this is my daily driver.

I have the drivers knee bolster already and the switch, and on audizine we have figured the fog wiring
    Pin 1 - +12V pulse toggles front fogs
    Pin 2 - +12V line to rear fog
    Pin 3 - +12V pulse toggles read fog
    Pin 5 - +12V line to front fogs
    Pin 6 - Appears to be ground
    Pin 7 - Appears to be ground
    Pin 8 - +12V switched with the ignition
    Pin 9 - +12V switched with the ignition
    Pin 10 - Panel indicator light for front fogs
    Pin 11 - Panel indicator light for rear fog
    Pin 12 - Holding at +12V PREVENTS the front fogs from turning on (used to cut out front fogs when high beams are on)
    Pin 14 - +12V switched with the ignition
    Pin 15 - Holding at +12V ALLOWS the rear fog to turn on (used to cut out rear fog when high beams are on)
    Pin 17 - Holding at +12V ALLOWS front / rear fogs to turn on (used to prevent fogs from turning out with out the low beams

I figured the illumination out, another guy worked out the hazards, and another the fogs, i have so many indavidual pages saved,lol
    A proper how to compiled from this lot would be really useful to many i feel

I will be attempting mine properly when the relay arrives as i cannot afford to be carless for long.
    Once thats done its the 40.60 split rear seat conversion to be done,my work is never done

0 0 0

10. Re: Sat Nav Retro Fit Fog Light Switch Problem!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Something else which you would probably need to change, unles you already have it, is the rear centre console!

If you have the one with the dual cup holder, the rear centre console is different for the cigarette lighter aperture!

All these little things certainly increase the frustration whilst installing the sat nav!

Latest frustration I have is with the GALA signal!

Installed the Sat Nav, the bits that I could, then took it for a drive! The signal coming in to control the positioning was at 45 pulses (Signal from ABS Sensor) but the lowest I could get the pulse signal to test at on VAG-COM was 12, so I seem to only be able to get the updating happening at an indicated MPH speed, although the sat nav interprets this as KPH!

Not a biggie, but infurating none the less!

Oh for a simple upgrade, lol!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast