Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All
    New member here so be gentle. Hope you all are well.
    I have some after market projector headlight assemblys with HIDs fitted to my Golf TDI GT. My problem is the drivers side low beam HID stopped working also high beam & indicator not working, the side lights/angel eye rings are ok. The wierd thing is that on the passenger side is the opposite low/high beam & indicator ok but no side lights ect.
    I have swapped both headlights to make sure the assemblys are not at fault (which they are not). Finally i got out the volt meter to check voltages coming through to main headlight plug & found no 12v getting to drivers side plug for low or high beam & no 12v to passenger side side light pin. Ive read that each side is separated but i cant find the fuses/relays for the headlights, although i have checked all fuses in the drivers side dash panel & under the bonnet & there are no blown fuses. Does anyone know if the headlight switch assy could be at fault or has anyone had a similar problem.
    Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Golf 4, 5, 6, 7?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Sorry 2007 MK5

0 0 0

4. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The lights and indicators (well everything really) are controlled by the Body Control Module and are not fused so unless the BCM is correctly coded to detect non incandescent bulbs or the replacement units are very carefully designed (i.e. CAN safe) the BCM will see most illegal aftermarket HID units as a fault and shut down the circuit and you can't check the voltages in the old way, the BCM sees it as a fault and shuts the circuit down, a diagnostic system, such as full and legal VCDS, is vital when working on a PQ35 platform car with full CAN BUS electronics. I have seen many instances of the BCM being damaged by high voltage feedback from HID controllers.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Thankyou for your reply, That's why i couldn't find any fuses lol, this could be a possibility although the headlight units have been on the car for over 2 years now & it started with just the drivers side low beam out which i thought was just a blown bulb, but obviously wasn't the case, but i guess that the BCM can go at any time. Would/can this cause one side to work & the other side to be faulty?
    Thanks again for your help much appreciated.

0 0 0

6. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Left and right are separate outputs on the BCM board, I would start with a fault code read of what is called “central electrics”

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok great thanks Crasher i will get back to you when i have delved in a bit deeper & hopefully get an answer.
    Thanks Again

0 0 0

8. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher
    Managed to get a code reading done & found the following codes:
    01493 Direction Indicator Left
    Circuit Failure
    Intermittent

02395 Parking Light Right Front
    Circuit Failure
    Intermittent

02071 Local Data Bus
    Circuit Failure
    Intermittent

00532 Voltage Supply
    Below Lower Reg Limit Threshold
    Intermittent

00978 Lamp Left Dipped Beam
    Short Circuit
    Intermittent

01320 Climate Control
    No Communication
    Intermittent

00979 Right Dipped Light
    Short Circuit

01520 Rain/Light Sensor
    No Communication
    Intermittent

00153 Left Wiper Motor
    No Communication
    Intermittent

00927 Terminal 30
    Open Circuit
    Permanant

My Mates code reader software wasnt VCDS so the code numbers may not be the same.
    I deleted the errors after noting them all down to find that unsurprisingly the Terminal 30 error would not erase,which i assume is where my problem lies, Does this indicate a faulty BCM in your expert opinion, ive removed the relay to check & that works fine,also checked for 12v at the pins behind the relay to see if there was a 12v supply coming to/from relay also ok.
    If you could think of anything else it would be much appreciated, also would you know how much a new BCM & coding might be. Many Thanks.

0 0 0

9. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The line 30 feed goes in to the BCM from fuse SB26 or 47 depending on the e-box level and into the BCM at plug D pin 1 as a red 2.5mm csa wire.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Headlight problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok great thanks Crasher i will check that out, probably be tomorrow now but will get back to you. Many Thanks.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast