Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Occasional binding brakes only on nearside?

1. Occasional binding brakes only on nearside? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Brakes on nearside started binding the other day, mainly front but back did so too. Then it stopped and hasn't done it again. Strangely, offside had no problems. Haven't had a chance to look myself yet but owner took it to a local garage who had a quick look but couldn't find anything obviously wrong and no related faults on the diagnostics.
    Apparently there was no juddering, just dragging and hot discs! I will obviously check pads, calipers, air in system etc myself, and some are saying it could be brake fluid itself needing changing? Could it be ABS related?

0 0 0

2. Re: Occasional binding brakes only on nearside? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Ok well I found some reports of something similar to this on the B6 forum but not here? It says brake servo failure/seizure is likely, but would that be something to look at on our B8?

0 0 0

3. Re: Occasional binding brakes only on nearside? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an A4 B8.5 2.0 TDI (2013) with ATE front calipers. Spotted that the front near side alloy was becoming very hot (way too hot to touch alloy face). Stripped down caliper and was able to push piston back in OK, everything then cleaned and lubed. Wheel bearing checked, no issues. When pumping brakes after reassembly caliper immediately stuck once again. Exchange remanufactured caliper and brake fluid change eventually solved the problem, the car felt completely different. Had read on forums that other member’s front calipers demonstrated similar problems.

if you are experiencing front and rear axle brake binding it’s likely to be another issue. Good luck with your investigations.

0 0 0

4. Re: Occasional binding brakes only on nearside? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Zap
    Do a search for Hot Brake written by me around 11-03-19. I think you maybe suffering the same problem I had

0 0 0

5. Re: Occasional binding brakes only on nearside? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The yual symptom is nearside front then offside rear and can be due to rust inside the servo.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0