1. Exclamation Esp activates randomly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Hi guys we’re do I start. I had an esp light fault for a couple of years know especially in the winter summer it was fine. The light would come on and after restarting the car it would turn off after a drive.

This has got more frequent in the last few months as the weather got colder. Vcds is showing a fault with the steering wheel angle sensor 01826 supply voltage terminal 30 and 00778 steering angle sensor (g85) 37-10 faulty intermittent.

I’ve tried many times to calibrate the sensor in Vcds but it keeps coming back. In the last few months I’ve been driving it with esp button on but last few days I’ve been getting a weird grinding sound from front I think while slow braking turning left.

Brake pads were changed all over about six months ago using genuine pads. Today I took it to my local supermarket car park and with the esp button not turned off there was no light in the dash drive around I few times and esp started kicking in with that same grinding sound and esp light flashing every time that sound happens.

So guys can the steering wheel angle sensor course this fault? Checked the speed sensor on all wheels on Vcds and they were reading fine. Any help appreciated or any thing I can check using Vcds. Thanks

car is a Audi A4 1.9tdi engine code BKE with 164000 on clock.
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

2. Re: Esp activates randomly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Just a little update tried to get the car to repeat grinding noise while VCDS was connected to see if any of the speed senors was reading correctly.

But everything i tried i could not get it to do it. Had the car at my local garage on ramps and the only thing was drivers side rear wheel bearing had a lot of play in it so i had that changed.

Mechanic did say the rear bearing could cause it he showed be the bearing and the ring around it was not in good shape.

Anyway see how it goes.

0 0 0

3. Re: Esp activates randomly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The grinding noise will be the ABS pump operating in ESP mode. The Bosch ABS pump used will not allow comms above walking pace meaning you cannot monitor wheel speeds above a few KMH, which is clever... not. Yes the steering angle sensor could cause this.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Esp activates randomly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Thanks for you reply

Any idea why this does not happen when the weather is warm last summer it did not happen once.

0 0 0

5. Re: Esp activates randomly 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Probably moisture effecting something, it always was a troublesome system including in the 3B Passat. I had a late 8D A4 where the ABS did odd things when someone sat in the back, I found a banana skin on top of the sensor to harness plug under the back seat. Some late 3B Passatas with the ESP 3 axis sensor under the back seat would sometimes engage the ESP on one brake or another as you were driving along but never enough to be able to monitor it and you can't watch the speed signals.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0