Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi!

This is my first post and I'm hoping to find some help on an issue I've come across.
    I have an A6 Allroad 3.0TDI - 2007 RHD and I bought it when I lived in the UK. I've now moved to Germany and want to get the car through the TUV (German MOT) but to do so I need to swap the headlights over. The local TUV guy said that using stickers to mark off the beam shining to the left of the car wouldn't be good enough.
    I searched online and found some posts about using a lever inside the lights to switch to Tourist Mode but such a lever couldn't be found by my local garage.

The car has cornering headlights but replacing purchasing cornering headlights in Germany (to shine more on the correct side of the road) proved expensive (€650 second-hand) so I opted for a pair of new non-cornering Xenon headlights from eBay, knowing that I could use my VCDS to change the coding for "Headlights without AFS". Or so I thought.
    So my local garage swapped the lights to the new non-cornering Xenons and when I got home I plugged in my VCDS and went to:

Select Control Module > 09 Cent Elect. > Coding and changed the fourth digit in the software coding from 3 (Bi-Xenon Headlights with AFS) to 2 (Bi-Xenon Headlights).
    I clicked "Do it!" and the new code was saved.
    I then ran a scan and after saving the DTC error codes I proceeded to clear all DTC's.
    I unplugged the VCDS and switched off the car before restarting it again a few minutes later (after my cup of tea).

But I still get the error message that was present when the garage presented the car back to me (it was agreed that they would swap the lights and I would do the coding as they were not familiar with it / didn't want the responsibility).
    I've tried to attach this image below (2000 pixels wide) but it looks like it can't be seen so is kind of worthless.
    Error2.jpg
    It shows an error with Address 55: Headlight Range Labels: 4F0-910-357 lbl
    Then it shows Subsystem 1 and 2 (left and right): No Subsystem, Component AFS Modul (which I assume these new lights don't have as they are not cornering lights)

So I thank you in advance if there's anyone out there with experience of such an issue that can shed some light (no-pun intended ) on a simple and inexpensive solution to my plight.
    Which part have I got wrong? Do I need to go in to [55] - Headlight Aim Control?

Dean

PS. I did wonder whether to put this in the VCDS section. If you think it belongs there rather than here then please let me know.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Headlight Coding Issue after Headlight Swapover 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    It looks like the 55 module is expecting the circuit for the AFS to be there.

I would see if you can get the long coding helper in the 55 module up, if available and look to see if you can uncheck the AFS option otherwise you may need to do a change in the green hidden menu.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

3. Re: Headlight Coding Issue after Headlight Swapover 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the pointers Dan.
    I went looking in the green menu and found nothing (wish I had thought of that before anyway).
    Following your train of thought, I Googled module 55, AFS, disable, fix etc. and found the following on another forum post (audiworld.com) from 2018. It involves pulling fuses but it has certainly worked. Credit to Hogg540i and Vincenth for the information.
    I'll post it here in case anyone else is in a similar pickle in the future and needs a potential solution:

Coding Out Audi Adaptive Lights AFS Error

Posted on December 3, 2018 by Vincenth
    So my 2006 Audi A6 4.2 with AFS has the dreaded Adaptive Light defective Error on my Dash.

Upon using a VCDS scan, it was determined that the left cornering Motor has a short.=center02627 VCDS scan Upon internet scouring, it was determined that there are a number of possible issues.
    1. A broken wire inside the headlight housing that connects to the motor (this is most likely)
    2. A burned out fuse (check both the driver and passenger side, should be fuse 18 for the drivers and fuse 9 for the passenger side)
    3. A bad motor relay (one on the side of the headlight and one on the bottom)
    4. Bad motor inside the headlight housing.

All of which requires the removal of the bumper in order to remove the headlight housing.

As it is -20 degrees celsius right now, i’ve decided to hold off on investigating the issues until the summer.

This is how to code out the AFS using the VCDS without removing any of the hardware except fuses.

Things you will need: A fuse puller and a VCDS or OBDEleven.
    1. Turn off your car. (make sure everything is off, you may pull the wrong fuse and cause more errors. BE WARNED)
    2. Open the driver side fuse panel between the door and the dashboard.
    3. Remove Fuse18 Headlight Electronics Left (5A)
    4. Open the passenger side fuse panel
    5. Remove Fuse 9 Headlight Electronics Right (5A)
    6. Turn on the ignition and leave your engine off, now using your VCDS
    7. Go into the Central Electronics 09 and code it for Xenon Only Should be currently a 3, change it to a 2, should be like this (0xx2xxx)
    8. Go into Instruments 17 and remove the AFS by subtracting 64 from the first 4 digits I changed (2129XXX) to (2065XXXX)
    9. Go into CAN Gateway 19 and remove 55 Headlight range. This can be done in coding or installation list
    10. Now turn off your vehicle and pull Fuse 15 Instrument Cluster (10A), wait a couple seconds and reinsert it.
    11. Turn on your car, the error should now be gone and the ECU will no longer think AFS system is installed.

Store your extra fuses into blank slots and close up both of your panel covers.

0 1 0