Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I posted the pictures from Photobucket at work on a PC and I can see them at home on my iPad so you should be able to see them. If you have a significant stream of air bubbles in the return there is only one place it can come from.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: BRD cuts out following engine removal for hex shaft fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If you have a significant stream of air bubbles in the return there is only one place it can come from.
    Ah yes it works on my laptop now, thanks.
    Hm.. the guy i've been doing this with is convinced the air would have got into all the lines as the fuel would have drained back to the tank etc. The bubbles we've seen in the return line are quite big, so obviously when they get into the engine it is taking up a large amount of "length" in the lines, if that makes sense. Surely the air in the system would have been from that & the filter change?

And when we had the rocker cover off we cranked it and no fuel seemed to be purging out from around the injectors.

I appreciate you answering my queries, i'm a little out of depth & knowledge with this!!

0 0 0

3. Re: BRD cuts out following engine removal for hex shaft fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I had a mobile mechanic come out and last night and use a snap-on scanner. Turns out there are more codes than the few we found on a generic OBD reader:

P1495 - Switch - Over Valve for EGR Cooler (N345) Open or Short to Ground, Open Circuit/Short with ground
    P1443 Potentiometer for EGR (G212) Signal too low Short with ground
    P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - Implausible signal, Short with power - intermittent
    P3102 Motor for intake manifold flap (V157) No signal short with power - intermittent
    P0321 Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Implausible Signal short with power - intermittent
    P3008 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) Signal out of Range short with power - intermittent
    P0671/2/3/4 Cyl 1-4 Glow plug circuit (Q10-13) electrical fault short with power - intermittent

Now the mechanic said it is likely to have a wire pinched or nicked when refitting the engine. Plausible of course. He also mentioned the injector loom under the rocker cover can absorb oil and stop working (??).

A friend I spoke to suggested the cam sensor would set most of these codes off and that my low battery could be causing the power codes.. it is very flat and haven't had chance to charge it.

Is there anything else I could look for or try before getting someone back out to spend some serious time fault finding?? Thanks all

0 0 0

4. Re: BRD cuts out following engine removal for hex shaft fix 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Did he clear the codes and then see if they came back? To me they all look like codes generated when something is unplugged and are possibly meaningless although the only code there which would make it cut out is the engine speed sensor. You really need your own copy of VCDS, solving a problem like this without your own system is nearly impossible and you could waste more money than a VCDS dongle costs... they usually pay for themselves and owning the latest HEX-NET with unlimited VIN's make you very popular with people that own VAG cars, even a used old HEX-CAN of fleaBay would be better than nothing but avoid illegal clones. If the injector seats leak the resultant air you see tends to de a foamy stream of small bubbles, due to the seal design you would see nothing inside the cam cover and if you did that would be very bad! Modern cars hate low batteries, get it fully charged. The first thing I would be looking at is the crank speed sensor signal in measuring blocks.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12