Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Please I implore all of you to sign this petition Scrap the proposed ban on new petrol and diesel cars - Petitions

There are so many way I feel bonkers Boris is wrong on this.

1) The UK as a whole is responsible for less than 1% of worldwide Co2 emissions and Transport of all kinds land sea and air accounts for around 30% with about 30% of that being internal combustion engined road vehicles so the ban, even when all car are electric, will have sod all effect on climate change. Even if you switched off GB PLC and we emitted nothing, the increase per annum from China would eliminate that.

2) It is un democratic to say people cannot by a petrol or diesel engined car, NEVER have I regretted voting Conservative in my life and if the idiot is still in charge next time I won't know what to do as I am duty bound vote and would rather be shot than vote Labour. If I had the money and time I would take the government to court over this. If people want an electric car, fine, they can have one and if they want petrol or Diesel, let people buy them; what right does Boris have to say we can't?

3) We have an alternative, use your fairy fart generated "renewable" energy to extract Co2 from the atmosphere and use it to produce liquid synthetic fuel (see the Bosch video link below) which can be distributed, dispensed and used with the infactsture we already have. What is the point in the planned sequestration of Carbon Dioxide (I hate it when it is referred to as carbon, it isn't!) when you could turn that expensively gattered Co2 into liquid fuel?

4) The typical electric car takes 50000 miles of use to pay back the greater amount of Co2 used in its production and 75000 before it is actually better than an ICE vehicles with the same mileage, these are Volvo/Geely's OWN figurers they have released in the name of transparency. Use synthetic fuels and an electric car looks like a cassette tape versus internet streaming.

5) We don't have the infrastructure. There are at present 18500 public charging points in the UK, if in 9 years times you are expecting 2 million new electric cars to go onto the road you are going to need an army of charging point installers working night and day to get enough installed ready for people to use. No joke, in Nottingham they have installed one in the left lane of a two lane road with barely any illumination except the screen, if no car is parked and someone does what they should and uses the left lane (it won't be a BMW that's for sure) then they are going to hit a 400 volt charging point. I will take a picture when I get chance, it is simply nuts!

6) We can't afford it. £1.5 Billion has been set aside for this for the entire UK whereas HS2 is so far looking at £100 Billion.

7) They are not safe. Lithium Ion batteries are lethal, even a phone battery can spit flames like a blow torch, people are going to die in a horrible manner, imagine doing 70mph and the battery explodes, how are you going to get out in time? Servicing a 400 or 800 volt system is extremely dangerous, in years to come when they get old and knackered, people are going to screw around and bodge them just like they do now and it will be a disaster.

8) Lithium Ion batteries are extremely difficult to recycle, in 20 years from now we could be looking at having to recycle 2 million huge batteries a year, recycling plants already have fires on a daily basis, taking a typical 350kg battery, that's 700000000 kilograms a year to get rid of... just in the UK.

9) Using VAG as an example, the battery warranty is 100000 miles or seven years, how much will a used VW ID4 be worth when it is ten years old and the £18688.31 (at todays prices) needs replacing? The car will get scrapped and scrapping a 10 year old car is not green! Even if someone is brave enough to go inside the case, trace the faulty "Cell module" and replace it, they are still n £915.61 each and there are twelve of them, I have enough greif getting people with a five year old A6 to have a correct AGM battery at £200 instead of a conventional one, never mind £1k for one part of it...

10) The range. The number of miles you can travel is one thing, the TIME you can drive for is another, when sitting in a traffic jam in the middle of winter in the dark with the lights, heater, radio, wipers, heated seats etc on is going to destroy your range and that's when the battery is new and healthy, I know of a Nissan Leaf where the range is down to doing the school run twice a day and charged over night it’s 8 years old.

11)I don't want one, I don't like them, they are soulless and make Mrs Crasher feel sick because of the linear acceleration, she went to a meeting in a bosses Tesla and nearly puked.

12) We may be setting an example to the rest of the world but what notice do many countries take of the example we set on other subjects such as human rights?

I can't think of any more just now but I will, this is making me so annoyed I can't think straight

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels
    Last edited by Crasher; 20-12-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 4 0