1. Aftermarket CarPlay / Android Auto MMI upgrades 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I’ve been toying with the idea of an upgrade for a while a seen the boxes from £150 on AliExpress.

Whose done it, what have been your results, has it proved reliable? what box did you install? What are the pros and cons?

Here’s an example A U D I A6 C7 CarPlay Wireless Module 2020 Radio Update New Solution Car MMI Android Auto Mirror Phone Link|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

While I’ve read mostly great reviews, I’ve also read a few that put me off too...

The plus points
    - the graphics look good, like any factory fitted CarPlay
    - all the steering controls and mmi can be used to control
    - reversing camera continues to work

The not so good points
    - one review showed failure after six months, depicted by the screen have no image other than red pixel lines.
    - audio quality, suggestion it’s not as good as using the stereo... although I don’t see why, Spotify’s already streets ahead of DAB
    - microphone audio for calls bad, some talk of correcting but I’ve failed to find details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A6 Avant S-Line BiTdi | born Sept '13 | advanced tech pack | sports diff | privacy glass | 75l fuel tank | lighting pack | HB assist | rear cam
    Q5 S-Line Plus TFSI | born April '11 | tempted to add stage 1 Revo taking HP from 177 to 290.

0 0 0

2. Re: Aftermarket CarPlay / Android Auto MMI upgrades 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,did you find out anymore about the CarPlay boxes?

I do remember reading something of this forum about doing the same and using a Uk based website selling the box for about £500.

Tony

0 0 0

3. Re: Aftermarket CarPlay / Android Auto MMI upgrades 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycb6 View Post
    Hi,did you find out anymore about the CarPlay boxes?

I do remember reading something of this forum about doing the same and using a Uk based website selling the box for about £500.

Tony
    I’ve seen a few of these boxes fitted to cars without factory CarPlay and they work well with the controls in the car but some have sound quality issues, some are better. Newer ones seems better but it’s difficult to tell till you get them. You have to be brave fitting theses as trims and units out as they essentially plug in the he middle of the MMI wiring loom.
    The ones you find in the Uk is most likely guys buying it from aliexpress and reselling them at a markup. Essentially what you are paying is dealing with a uk trader instead of aliexpress as that can sometimes be very difficult. Still not worth twice as much though in my eyes.

0 0 0