Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights.

1. Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is good.

My first post so hello.

I have an A3 2.0 TDi Sportback (Black edition if that makes any diff) 2011.

Car has been behaving fine, apart from not being used as much given the current situation, so it's been sat for days at a time not used. On occasions the car has only just about started, and I've had a low battery warning, which immediately cleared after a few seconds. It was then fine after a good run.

Anyway, on to the main issue. I started it last week, and the usual dash lights that appear and then should go, stay on. There is no illumination on the cluster. The central info screen is blank. The indicators work and lights on cluster flash but there is no audible indication that they are on. None of the gauges work, Temp/Fuel/Rev/Speed all static/zero when engine running. When turning the ignition on initially there is no movement, although on occasions a slight flicker from needles then nothing.

I've read the fault codes and get the following dash faults:

00447 Function limitation due to excessive voltage-upper limit exceeded.

00532 Supply voltage-upper limit exceeded.

I've read the live dash data and see the following:

With engine off and ignition on:
    Supply voltage terminal 30: 21.6v

With engine running:
    Supply voltage terminal 30: 25.5v

I've removed and recharged the battery. I've had a meter on it with engine off and voltage at the battery is 12.5 although it has been as low as 12.27v.
    With the engine running it is no higher than 14.76v at the battery terminals.

I've had the battery and alternator tested at a local place and they say alternator is fine. Battery is on low side. I've now ordered a new battery anyway which I've yet to receive/fit.

I've also removed the battery tray and cleaned the main earth terminal.

I've checked fuses in engine compartment and inside the car and all seem ok.

I've read various forums and seen multiple causes for this fault which seems common, alt/batt, earth issues, CCM, then faulty instrument cluster, which can often be repaired. On older models there was also an earth terminal in the engine bay that could affect dash but I've not been able to locate anything like in on my engine (prob diff year/model)

I've looked for the CCM, but so far unable to locate it. I've had both boot panels off and only have bose sub in the left panel and bose amp in the right panel. I've checked behind the drivers side bottom door trim.

So other than the CCM, and fitting the new battery when it turns up, before I look at sending the cluster away to be inspected/repaired (I'm looking at a company called ECU Testing that offer a repair service for these faults) can anyone recommend anything else to check/try? Or point me in the location of the CCM to check the connections are good on that?

Thanks in advance. I think that covers it.

Cheers,
    Gary.

0 0 0

2. Re: Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I saw this post on another site where he had a similar problem to you :-
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/instrument-cluster-replacement-help.385002/

Seems it was water that found its way into the wiring or cluster from a sunroof drain, but guess it could also come from condensation in this cold weather.

Perhaps try a fan heater in the drivers side footwell for a few hours & see if anything improves.

Is it just the instrument cluster that gives any fault codes.

Are you reading them with VCDS?

0 0 0

3. Re: Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Philip,

Cheers for the reply.

I saw that post too. I think in the end the guy replaced the cluster.

I've had the cluster out of the car and everything was dry, however I've had it next to a radiator with some heat just in case. No change.

It's only the dash that is generating error codes. I'm reading it with an Autel unit but with the specific Audi pack installed so not generic OBD codes.

I've got a new battery turning up today, so will check after that. I've read other posts where a new battery has fixed this too, but I'd be surprised in my case.

Cheers again,
    Gary.

0 0 0

4. Re: Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    And yes, equally it could be a good idea to get some heat in the car due to it sitting, thanks for the suggestion.

0 0 0

5. Re: Instrument cluster issues - no gauges or illumination - lots of lights. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, just as an update. I got in the car and started it at lunch today. Would you believe it, the cluster is now working fine. No actions taken since the last time I used it and it wasn't working. So exactly a week ago it stopped working. On a cold/damp/wet day too so not like anything has dried out if it was damp causing it.

I've read on other forums that this happens and some are lucky where things just start working of their own accord. Given it's been a week I didn't expect it to.. I guess will see how long it lasts, hopefully a long time.

Cheers,
    Gary.
    Last edited by Garybaldi; 04-12-2020 at 01:45 PM.

0 1 0