Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Evening everyone,

Another VW golf owner faced with the dreaded deadlock issue on front offside door. Unusually though, have managed to smash the lock mechanism off and replace it... 3 times!

First two times I replaced with second-hand, didn't fix it, so was convinced third time around it was because a new lock (not second-hand) was needed and stumped up for one. Worked for all of 24 hours and now I've got another deadlocked door with the prospect of having to smash a brand new lock out... again!

Before I do that and give up on the locking system completely... Anybody have any idea what could be causing the door to deadlock if it isn't the lock mechanism? Window works fine and as I say it worked with the new lock for a day.

Car is a 2008 Golf Match TDI 1.9 with 120k on the clock.

Cheers in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Is the "new" one a fleaBay special?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    D2P so not from VW but couldn't face the £220 quoted for it to not work and smash it off again!

Bit more researching suggests it might be the wiring harness? I had a look at the wiring inside the boot in the door hinge and no signs of damage though.

0 0 0

4. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    £194.97 to be precise... you have the choice, keep screwing around with second hand or aftermarket ****, the £20 Chinese rubbish is notoriously unreliable; “do it right and do it once”. Have you carried out a scan of the central convenience system and the drivers door controller to see what they are reporting? If you fit a VW door lock unit and it plays up within two years, it is the dealers problem even if you fitted it AS LONG as it is done correctly. Problems with the convenience system shutting down a side of a Golf 5 are common but I have only seen it on the left. When you get the problem, does the rear door and all the drivers side door electrics work?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No haven't had a diagnostic done on it, so will take it to an auto-electrician before I start breaking any locks off. The back o/s door window doesn't work but figured that is unlikely to be connected as the driver's door window works fine? You're definitely not the first person to tell me to get the VW mechanism fitted so think I will just have to bite the bullet and go for it if auto-electrician doesn't diagnose anything. Thanks for your help. Will feed back anything I find out that might be useful to others

0 0 0

6. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    You need a diagnostics to see what the car sees

If you take the sensor off the door lock you can mess with it with vagcom connected if not you need to check voltage to the cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Another deadlocked door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I doubt the average auto sparky will help, most I have met think a BUS is something that moves people en mass. The drivers door controller (i.e. the window motor unit) is controlled by the Central Convenience Unit behind the glove box through the CAN (Controller Area Network) BUS controller up above the steering shaft under the instruments and the commands are sent by a digital signal at high and low speeds through twisted pairs of wires. There are three CAN levels in the car, drivetrain, body and infotainment and two speeds, high and low. Through the CAN BUS controller these levels can cross communicate although some have direct fail safe high speed coms lines such as the air bag controller telling the engine ECU to stop the fuel pump. The point of all this? All the operations of the drivers door come via a CAN into the controller and then to the lock unit except the speakers and the rear door on each side is controlled by a single wire LIN (Local Interconnect BUS. I have had a number of instances of Golf 5 CCU’s shutting down the left hand side leaving both door jammed and in three cases now this has been put right by disconnecting the battery for a few hours but all three have been the left hand side. It is what tech support people call a cold reset, or “turn it off and back on again”...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0