Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 Passat TDI 140 which has is due for its service, last year I did a part service and the garrage I took it to suggested some premium 5w-30 which has run fine but maybe as its due for service, I think the engine is not as nippy so was considering a getting my own oils and service parts. I was wondering I have seen a few posts and it seems 5w-40 is supposed to be recomended or is 5w-30 better? The other thing I am unsure on is capacity I am certain its 4 litres but seen some sites suggest its 5 litres capacity? On ECP Ive seen Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL VW 504/507 - 4Ltr where as the Shell is 5l?

Any assistance would be appreciated, Thank you in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    5W30 504.00 507.00 has the best overall performance profile manufacturer oil spec I've ever seen .

Grade doesn't dictate oil quality it's oil basestock groups and additive package concentration .

It's not widely known but brand is unimportant as there is industry standards to a set of ingredients to make a particular manufacturer oil spec .

So you could buy a supermarket oil and have exactly the same ingredients as a big brand that a maker or blender has put together that doesn't have the overheads like advertising a more expensive product .

0 1 0

3. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Personally, I’ve used Mobil ESP, Millers long life, Elf Sporti long life, and Quantum long life over the last 4 years all in 5W-30, and I’ve noticed zero difference to running performance. I tend to buy whatever is in stock from Opieoils online in 5ltr...usually the cheapest. If it’s VW 504/507 then it’s going to be fine, and I rarely have to use the 1ltr to top up between 10k oil changes.

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suley View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 Passat TDI 140 which has is due for its service, last year I did a part service and the garrage I took it to suggested some premium 5w-30 which has run fine but maybe as its due for service, I think the engine is not as nippy so was considering a getting my own oils and service parts. I was wondering I have seen a few posts and it seems 5w-40 is supposed to be recomended or is 5w-30 better? The other thing I am unsure on is capacity I am certain its 4 litres but seen some sites suggest its 5 litres capacity? On ECP Ive seen Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL VW 504/507 - 4Ltr where as the Shell is 5l?

Any assistance would be appreciated, Thank you in advance!
    I prefer to use a 5W-40 in our PD as I think it is more likely to prevent the cam wear that they are prone to without suitable lubrication. Without looking I'm assuming yours is CR, so perhaps matters less. I typically get Granville or similar "not quite as well known unless you look" oil to the spec I want. Usually great value, and they come as 5l so a litre or so left over and no funny price comparisons with 4l suppliers. Or look on eBay for a can of Castrol that someone is selling off cheaply.

IIRC the 2nd viscosity number is simple the "multiple of 10 below actual" and VAG 505.x / 507.x spec 5W-30 is typically ~38 and 5W-40 around ~42 - so not really a lot of difference either way. I'm sure someone will correct me if I got that wrong .
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    5W30 507.00 is higher anti wear than 5W40 505.01 .

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I prefer to use a 5W-40 in our PD as I think it is more likely to prevent the cam wear that they are prone to without suitable lubrication.

5W40 505.01 now why is that better than 5W30 507.00 for PD cam wear ?

0 0 0

7. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I have no evidence that it makes a difference, just a feeling that it is the right side of caution. It'd rather use 5W30 for the lower "drag" on the engine, but the PD wear thing tips me to 5W40.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I have no evidence that it makes a difference, just a feeling that it is the right side of caution. It'd rather use 5W30 for the lower "drag" on the engine, but the PD wear thing tips me to 5W40.

If the two oils were of the same quality the 5W40 would protect more , but the 5W30 is high quality whereas 5W40 is medium .

The 100°C viscosity measured in centiStokes tends to be very close between the two manufacturer spec grades , think of the 30 as a thick 30 and the 40 , thin , a grade varies by about 4 centiStokes and the difference can be just 1 cSt , so if the goal posts were moved even 0.5 cSt they would both be a 40 !

I can give you an avalanche of multi source information inc some signed off by VW that 5W30 507.00 is higher anti wear , it's all down to using higher oil basestock groups 4 & 5 ( actual synthetics PAO and Esters ) and a higher additive package concentration .

If you care about your PD camshaft , 5W30 507.00 , the highest VW oil spec and the most complete manufacturer oil spec I've ever seen .

0 0 0

9. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Thanks, that's useful to sway my thinking . As I mention above I know they are a lot closer in spec than the 30 and 40 imply. I hadn't thought so much about the progression of constituent parts. It's like liquid engineering ...

If any of that research, test result stuff, etc is in the public domain I'd probably enjoy reading it. Can you post any links?
    ======

0 0 0

10. Re: Advice on Oil VW Passat B6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Will do later .

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast