Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I have having an issue with my Seat Alhambra MK1 2.0s Petrol, Manual. The ABS light which used to intermittently come on, is now on permanently. Whats also annoying is, the Air Bag light is also on now recently, even though I changed the Airbag Clock spring, about 11 months ago. Maybe the two are now related.

So far, I have, Scanned for codes which are ;

- 01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
    - 00588 - Drivers Airbag Igniter (N95)

I don't have VCDS diagnostics yet and the MOT is due soon, so need to get this done ASAP.

I have read on other forums, sometimes its the Earth strap which is corroded, between gearbox and chassis. I was not able to see one under the car, although there was an earth point on the chassis near the gearbox which is not being used. I have also checked the ABS fuses under the dash. There does not seem to be another fuse box in the engine bay, apart from a 3 fuse block, which I am assuming is for the starter motor. These fuses are good too.

Before I go to the trouble and expense of a new ABS unit, can anyone advise me where to look next. I have been trying to locate other Earth points for the ECU and the ABS module but with no success yet..

All help gratefully received..

Thank you..

John.

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS & Airbag Light On. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ABS LIGHT IS NOW OFF !! WHAT I DID TO FIX ABS...

I was hoping the issue was a simple Earthing problem. But I could not find an issue here. So I went onto ebay and bought the cheapest ABS modulator for the correct year and model. Basically to use as a learning tool and see how it came apart. My car is a MK1 2.0L Petrol. However the unit I found was for a MK1 diesel 1.9 TDI, but the part numbers matched. The ABS unit was £40. When it arrived, it was in a poor condition, dirty, rusty and a year older than my original. As the error message said, ABS Motor, I proceeded to remove the motor, but the screws were so rusted, I managed to snap the screw head OFF holding the motor on.. so, for the other screw, I used WD40 and left it for a day. Next day, I managed to remove the next screw, and removed the motor. I tested the motor with a power supply I had, and it spun up.

I went to the Cars ABS unit, heated up the wires with a hair dryer, as they were hard to move and may be brittle and i was working in the cold. This made the wires a bit supple and the motor connector came off easier. But the motor was left in place on the modulator. I just plugged the donor motor in. Alas, No Joy.. The light persisted. I did not want to remove the ABS UNIT, as this would have meant more work, and bleeding the brakes, which I will do later when I put on new brake disks and pads. So I tried to remove the ABS control unit, from the aluminium modulator body. But I could not gain access to two screws , as they were covered by two middle brake lines, so i had to remove the two middle brake lines, which I think are for the back brakes. I then had access to the control unit. I swapped the ABS control unit. I was not expecting this to work as the donor unit looked worse than my original.

On power up... the ABS light went OUT !! so.. it was the ABS Control unit at fault. Now, when i have time, I will open the faulty ABS control unit and see if I can see any dry Solder joints or any obvious problems and reconnect them and have it as a spare..

As for the Airbag Clock spring, I don't want to buy another clock spring. So will try and repair the old one I took out and swap it with the current one in the car. I will update you when I have done this..

NOTE: All those reading this and who have gained an insight into their own problems, I hope I have showed the importance of coming back and updating everyone on a good or otherwise, outcome. It is important to come back and let us know the solution to problems you were asking for help on.. So many people just ask questions and never come back with a solution, because they have sorted their issue.. Your help and experience and solution will help others as I hope I have helped someone..

John

0 1 0

3. Re: ABS & Airbag Light On. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Good work and result.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0