1. Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The rear brake pads on my 1.6 diesel Passat need changing. This is a job which I'd normally not have an issue with. Having looked up the operation in the Hayles manual is has an alarming 5 spanner difficulty rating!

Changing pads isn't that hard surely, I've done it lots of time on older cars. I think the difficulty rating coming from the fact that the car has an electronic handbrake and you need a tool/scanner to release the hand brake and once you've finished wind it back and perform a calibration.

So given the only obstacle to be getting on and doing this job is me not having a VAG scanner, can anyone recommend a suitable one?

Is this item I found on eBay a good purchase? ANCEL OBD2 Code Reader ABS SRS EPB Oil Reset Diagnostic Scanner Tool For Audi/VW | eBay

Am I missing anything else here?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Get yourself VCDS... invaluable.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So when you say VCDS, is this what I need: https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

Looks like the 3 car option is what I'd go for...

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    That will do the job, you just may find 3 VIN's a bit limiting.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it is just your handbrake that you are wanting to do initially you should try Carista.

At £25 it is fabulous for doing little things like this. Really depends on how much fettling you are planning on doing!

Did mine on my Golf VII without problems!

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Or the no cost option.
    You can remove the parking brake motor, 2 x T30 if I remember correctly.

Start off by releasing the Parking Brake with the button.

Remove the PB motor from the calliper.

Then with a T40, turn the screw where the PBM meshes with the piston screw 3 or 4 complete turns until it reaches its stop. ( One way winds the piston hard onto the pad, the other way winds it back to its stop )

Then just push in the calliper piston as you would with any normal brake calliper. ( The piston pushes straight in, doesn't need to be turned )

After replacing the pads, turn the T40 several turns until it pushes the calliper piston hard onto the pads, then back off until the disc can be turned without rubbing.

Replace the PB motors being careful to mesh the splines on the motor with the calliper, may need to twist the motor slightly to mesh it.

After completing both sides, operate the PB a few times & all will be fine.

If you can afford VCDS that is fine, it is an invaluable piece of kit.

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Careful giving the wrong advice, most vw rear calipers are winded in,its the front that are pushed in. That includes B6 passat, cc, scirocco and golfs.

0 0 1

8. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I read this at home last night when I could not sleep but I wanted to reply when I could double check on ELSA. I have had a good look through Passat type 3C/36/3G 2006 up to 2022 (that is as far as ETKA lists them) and it instructs to use "piston resetting appliance T10145" after the motors have been wound back using a suitable diagnostic system and these are used in various other VAG vehicles such as the Arteon, Tiguan, Q3, Tarraco, Kodiaq, Superb and are still the current system. On the MQB platform with ATE rear calipers as far as I can see it is the same, push back not wind back. I have had an ATE version of this tool for what must be 40 years.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    hi, done this a few times on both the older b6 1.9 + 2.0 and my current b7
    get vcds and wind back the motors then get a tool to wind back the pistons, if you look at the pistons there are notches that the wind back tool locates in. get a tool with the corresponding amount of notches
    have a look on amazon, you can get one for multiple marques for about 20

re vcds, i wouldnt risk winding the pads back without this, i bought a passat spares or repair a few years ago where the previous owner had wound the motors back manually, then he got loads of errors on the dash, i bought it thinking it would need 2 new rear motors but luckily vcds fixed it.

0 0 0

10. Re: Rear pad replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    When pushing back 3C calipers the pistons must NOT be rotated.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0