1. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the translation.....it looks like the regulating valve is a common failure point on these from other YouTube videos and vids that were posted up on this thread. I've ordered all the seals and gaskets plus the manifold assembly and the regulating valve assembly.....total came to £89 so hopefully will get chance to strip down and rebuild it over the next few weeks. Many thanks for all the replies and for the translation. Much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok....so moving on from this i was forced into action sooner than I intended as the serpentine belt snapped on the engine. So I made space in the garage and commenced work.

Removed the front bumper, headlights and the radiator and intercooler to allow maximum space and to get into the engine better....plus I was changing the belt and idler pulleys too.

Stripping out the top of the engine was a fun job....there are so many electrical connectors and looms.....even getting the intake manifold is not that simple. EGR cooler was clogged up so I cleaned the tubes out. The throttle body by the EGR was covered in carbon and crap from the poxy EGR so cleaned those all up too.

Found the leak issue was caused by the actuator assembly mentioned previously...the plastic body had split at the actuator pivot so the coolant was leaking out there. Took out the oil cooler and cleaned the V out of oil and coolant etc......put it all back together with new seals etc and a new actuator assembly.

Replaced the water pump while I was there doing the serpentine belt. Have put it all back together and changed the oil filter and oil (took more than usual due to removing the oil cooler etc) which was about 7.2 litres of oil compared to previous oil changes where its more like 6.5 litres. Recharged the coolant system using a vacuum charging kit which made it a doddle. Have bled the last of the air out of the system via the EGR cooler bleed point and the heater matrix bleed point by the windscreen. Took approx 10 litres of coolant.

Cleared any faults with VCDS and then took it for a test drive. All seems OK. Heating gets toasty warm.....although I may revisit it as the drivers side is blowing colder air than passenger side. Dont appear to be any leaks but will keep an eye over the next week or so.

But here is the weirdest thing......the passenger side knee airbag short to ground fault has gone? No idea why.....maybe where it has been inside a dry garage for the past 10 days while I've been working on it intermittently?

Anyway all up and running and happy to have her back on the road. Thanks for the videos that were posted up and the translation services....they were invaluable.

0 1 0

3. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Happy to hear that you manage to fix your car. Did you had any colant leek on the serpentine belt ? What's the milage ?

0 0 0

4. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There was no coolant leak on the serpentine belt....I think that was just one of those things that failed and happened to be at the same time. The car has covered 105,000 miles.
    To be honest taking all the radiators etc off gave me much better access to the engine for changing the areas where it was all leaking anyway.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, looking at doing the same job, I've bought all the parts but I'm having second thoughts and thinking of getting a garage to do it after seeing more videos it looks a total bitch!! Is it that bad it looks worse than it is? Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it depends on how practical you are? My hand was forced as the serpentine belt snapped so it made me tackle the job in the winter...but luckily I have a garage that I managed to squeeze the car into.

I think the job took me 2 days in total....I also replaced the water pump and a few pulley bearings as well while I had the front of the car stripped down due to renewing the serpentine belt and removing the remains of the old belt.

Take pics while you're stripping it down....you'll appreciate them when you come to put it back together. Also maybe get a paint pen and make marks on pipes, electrical connectors to help you identify where they connected.

The job isn't too difficult. You will need to drain the coolant system down and I would probably suggest doing an oil change after this job as well. I certainly wouldn't want to do it on the driveway in the winter.

The part that leaks is unfortunately right in the centre of the engine so you need to remove loads of stuff to gain access. Lots of seals/gaskets to renew. I imagine it would probably be a quite costly job if you took it into a garage as it is quite time consuming.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So roll onto 2023 and once again my coolant is needing to be topped up and I can see coolant accumulating in the centre area of the engine block. It appears that the regulating block has failed again....as per the previous failure mode

Checking parts catalogue I can see the regulating valve has been superseded......previously it had a suffix of H but is now on revision M. Calling my local Audi to check parts they have 100s of these in stock....so that suggests that there is a problem with their design and that they fail quite frequently.

It's lasted approx 40k miles since I changed it last time! Already dreading stripping all the stuff out for access etc.....

Its yet another piece of kit which is designed to help reduce emissions but just overcomplicates things and makes more things to go wrong.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2012 A6 quattro 3.0Tdi EGR coolant leak advice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the information and updates in this thread. I have a mystery coolant leak on my BiTDi. I haven’t shone a torch right down into the valley yet but I did see a couple of drips near the front of the block and the serpentine belt looked like it was wet. I’m losing a litre or so over about 300 miles. I have a feeling it’s going to be the gaskets round the Egr cooler or the actuator. Do you have a complete list of parts you ordered, or did you just order what was in the video from Mat? How did your secondary fix go earlier this year? Was it the same issue again? I fear I have a few long nights ahead of me…

Edit for spelling.
    Last edited by Harvy23; 07-11-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDi 320ps Quattro S-Line 11/14

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12