Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code..

1. Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I'm having problems with a friends car which I am hoping you could help me with. It's a Golf Plus 1.6 FSI 2005 BLF engine. The car had the classic HPFP problem with holes in the cam follower and the HPFP impacting the Cam Lobe and scoring it and wearing out any new Cam Followers I would replace, and jerking at speed.

I found the chain tensioner had gunk and carbon deposits and would cease in the housing if pushed back, stretched chain and scored and burnt camshaft on the HPFP Lobe. I have replaced all of these and for good measure, the Hydraulic tappets while I was in there !!

The Car now runs fine. But I am unable clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes.. These are the same codes as I had before I started the Job. Although the HPFP errors are now gone. I have a VAG Super Plus K-Cam reader, which gives me codes 08328 / 08201, but my Generic code reader gives me more codes;

P0458 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve cct Low.
    P2088 - "A" Camshaft position Actuator Control cct Low bank1 b)
    P2009 - Intake Manafold Runner Control Cct Low Bank1 a)
    P0691 - Cooling Fan 1 Relay Control cct Low

Also, the car battery (which is 6 months old, bought from the RAC, but a bit small for my liking) seems to drain too low to start the car after about 5 days if the car is not used, so I suspect a Parasitic drain. When I have done a test for the drain, I can see on my meter Pulsing drain which cycles between 280mA & 700mA (0.28A - 0.7A) I suspect the cycling is the alarm.. So far, I have pulled the fuses in the engine compartment, but have not found any drain.

So far, I have warmed up the car and got it to temperature (90 degrees) and had the AC running, but notice the cooling Fans do not come on. On my Seat Alhambra, the Fans come on whenever I put the AC on. I am assuming the same is true for the Golf Plus when the AC is on ?

The owner changed the Throttle body a while back because he had error VAG code 12408. This code has not reappeared.

The owner says there was No MIL light on before the HPFP problems, but now I can't reset the MIL. I suspect a wiring fault but open to suggestions and where to look before I go head long into this problem. With so many errors, do you think it could be a short to earth or blown fuse? I have not been able to see any blown fuses yet.

I was looking for the Fan Relay, but did not see it yet. Maybe under the battery or by the fuses inside under the steering ?

Would welcome suggestions and course of action and where to look.. I don't have a laptop and VCCDs yet.

Much appreciated.. Thank you..

Bob.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a bit surprised no one has had any suggestions !!

But not to fear.. I have sorted ALL the issues.. !! I will post an update shortly , once I get to my PC.

Sent from my Phone.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi I’ve got and FSI (BAG engine code) so have a bit of experience with them...

You want VCDS really to help you here or if you have a friend who has ODIS / Dealer diagnostic. Always helps to a have a proper fault code read for anything electrical it all unless you have a mechanical issue.

Regarding the fans not coming on when A/C is on you could have the issue where the carbon brushes gunk up and become jammed not allowing the brushes to touch the commutator and therefore not allowing it to run. It could of happened to both fans or maybe one (smaller of the two is A/C fan). Or it could be the small grey control unit has failed which controls both fans and has a chunky connector going to it.

But I’m just guessing here so best get a proper scan to narrow down your options.

Looks like you’ve got this sorted now anyways from your latest post.

Let us know what you did.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for your suggestions Willdudeuk, Good to know for future reference.. I will be buying a laptop soon and then will load up VCDS..

I am about to post up the procedure and tests I carried out to resolve these issues.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Plus 1.6FSI 2005 Too many Diagnostic Trouble Code.. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All DTC cleared, and the Parasitic drain found. Engine Management Light is now off..

First, the Parasitic Drain. I wired a multimeter using the 10 AMP setting, in series with the Negative of the battery terminal and the negative lead of the car. (Details of this procedure can be found on Youtube, so I will not elaborate further). DO NOT START THE CAR. THE FUSE IN THE MULTIMETER WILL BLOW OR THE METER WILL BLOW UP BECAUSE THE STARTER MOTOR CONSUMES MORE THAN 10Amps. Starter motor can consume upwards of 40Amps+, (put a note on the steering wheel, DO NOT START WITH METER CONNECTED.) I really needed to wait a good Half hour to an hour for the car to go to sleep. But the car was still showing a pulsing of between 280mA & 700mA (0.28A - 0.7A) every 5 - 10 seconds on the meter. I knew the car had an issue with the Rear boot mechanism, It keep opening every 10 seconds, even when the car was locked. I had disconnected the lock, by pulling out the connector to the lock, but the ECU or other system was still pulsing the connection. I think it was looking for a Locked State. So I pulled the fuse in the fuse box, in the door well, under the steering, for the Rear Central Locking doors. This stopped the pulsing, but it also disconnected front doors central locking too. (Make sure you have something in the way to stop the drivers door from closing. Although, I had latched the door to fool the car into thinking the door was closed.)

Once the Fuse for the central locking had been removed, the pulsing stopped. The meter showed 200mA steady. This is still to high. I left the car for another 20mins and the meter finally showed 10mA steady, which is an ideal value, meaning the car battery will not drain too much and will start the car in about 4 weeks time !! The usually accepted value here is between 10mA - 50mA.. So thats the Parasitic Drain identified and dealt with.

How I found the DTC's Fault..

I pulled each fuse in the Engine Compartment and visually inspected them. They all looked good, without a break in the fuse wire showing. I then decided to test each fuse with the multimeter for continuity. I finally came across fuse no. F15, a 5amp fuse. Located at the bottom right of the fuse box. The Fuse looked OK, but when tested, it was open Circuit. I replaced the fuse with a new one, removed the multimeter, reconnected the battery, cleared the DTC's, and hey presto, the faults did not reappear and no more Management Information Light (MIL) !! The Drivers user manual , does not show what fuse F15 is..

Clearly, this one fuse has a bearing on four sensors and relays. When I first came across these four errors, I thought it was a bit much, four sensors failing at the same time, so it had to be a wiring short or open circuit somewhere.. Checking all the fuses was one way to find this and ruling out the fuses before checking on wiring looms and checking individual sensors..

I Hope this will help someone else in the future and shows the importance of coming back and updating forums with good or bad results ..

Do let us know if this helps you by leaving a message here..

Thank You..

Bob...

0 0 0