1. MK6 Golf Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, hope someone can direct me on where to find some information on how to remove the inner door panel on the MK6 Golf.

Long story short, I've found that it's leaking from the seal so I need to remove it, clean it, check it and either replace the seal or just refit it after giving it a scrub.

It's a 2011 model and just seems to be held in place by 3 or 4 large rivets (once you've removed the window, of course). Unfortunately I don't have a rivet gun big enough to replace them afterwards so, other than buying a larger rivet gun and rivets, how do I go about fixing the inner trim back up again?

If anyone can guide me in the direction of any decent "how-to's" with pictures, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks, Dean

0 0 0

2. Re: MK6 Golf Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    Once you have drilled out the eleven pop rivets you can replace them with part number 5K0 837 975 A which cost £1.97 each from a VW dealer. You MUST take great care drilling the old ones out, the steel core and aluminium body of the rivet can guide you off course so that you end up damaging the location in the lifter panel and the door skin. Only replace the seal behind the lifter panel with the correct Butyl rubber cord such as VAG AKD 497 010 04 R10
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: MK6 Golf Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for all that, that's really helpful. I'll ring TPS tomorrow and order all the bits I need and then take it apart.

Really appreciate your help.

Dean

0 0 0

4. Re: MK6 Golf Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for the reply. Sorry for coming back to you so late on this.

So I took everything apart last week and it would appear that the seal is cracked around the inner door car (I think you called it a lifter panel) AND the speaker. Having solved the first problem, I'm left with the speaker issue.

I rang TPS and they said that the seal would cost me less that 2 quid. I thought that must be wrong! He gave me the part number of 1K8 971 798 which, when you Google it, comes up with a circular gasket of some sort. I don't want to waste my time driving to TPS after ordering it in, only to find it's the wrong part! Would I be wise to take a trip to Halfords to find an alternative?

Dean

0 0 0

5. Re: MK6 Golf Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    I would use “Butyl sealing cord” and if you Google that phrase, the brand I use Wurth, comes straight up although the site is currently down.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0