Notices

User Tag List

Thread: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Just curious.... when the garage measured an output of 25v what did they say? Did they recommend replacing the alternator?

I believe in most cases of voltage spikes you get an array of warning lights on the dash such as traction control, abs, coil light, oil light and oil pressure warning. A scan may blame the engine speed sensor. Crasher on this forum would know a lot more.

0 0 0

2. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When he first plugged in the reader he said there were lots and lots of fault messages and asked if I had a flat battery recently which had happened a few weeks back. After this point he started checking fuses in the car and under the bonnet. Changed a few, blew a few messing about with the blower. Then he went to get something i'm guessing another kind of meter. After this point he told me that the alternator was faulty as it's just blew his meter whilst he was testing. I asked if it was just a case of changing the faulty alternator? To which he replied with the cost of a new alternator and instrument cluster etc. I explained that at that kind of money the car was a write off to me, and so we left it at that. My missus was gutted as its her first car. She is a little happier now though lol. I was really shocked when the panel came back on. As I guess I just believed the mechanic.

0 0 0

3. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    A flat battery will give a lot of undervoltage faults on the computer but they don’t cause any harm. When cleared they won’t come back. Have you used the mechanic before and do you trust them?

0 0 0

4. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no never used them before, they just happen to be joined onto the autoparts place i use and i was getting a couple of bulbs for another car. they have been there for as long as i can remember and are always busy. guess that means nothing really. i am just a little concerned that a faulty alternator is the reason that the blower and the wipers etc have gone at the same time, as i dont want to change those things just to blow them again. do you think i should fit another alternator as well just to be sure?

0 0 0

5. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    You said the alternator output was 13.5V, which is on the low side, should be around 14.2-14.5V to effectively charge the battery.
    As stated a VCDS scan would be helpful but with all of the other issues ensuring the Alternator/charging system is functioning correctly is a must.
    Replacement alternators aren't too expensive and easily found online. Check what's installed on your car, could be Bosch or Valeo and the capacity (probably 140A) and get a like model replacement and a new belt.
    Once that's installed clear faults and test again.
    Let us know how it's going!

0 0 0

6. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    If it worries you then it will do no harm to change it and do what tditaff says above. Have a look at the wiring while your there and check all is good.

0 0 0

7. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi tditaff, checked again with my meter in the daylight an I'm getting 14.4 with the engine running. It's there a more definite test for an alternator to see if it's knackered or not? Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    14.4V is on the money, so it seems to be working correctly.
    If you had VCDS you could check the load that it's producing.
    With the engine running turn on all high electrical loads, headlights, fan blower, rear window defrost etc. and keep measuring the voltage from the alternator - it shouldn't drop too low.
    Report here what your results are and we'll go from there.

0 0 0

9. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok will do thanks, is there like a network of reliable/recommended vag people in my area? Or anyone in the Gloucestershire area? As at £30 a throw for a what turned out to be a crap diagnostic by my local garage this could be quite expensive. Or can you buy a plug in reader like on ebay? Just to read the codes not to do anything fancy?

0 0 0

10. Re: alternator overcharging and cooking the dash? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, so i ordered another blower (used) and the fuse you linked to me, fitted this morning and the blower worked until it got to the lowest setting and popped fuse number 40 a 40amp fuse, tried various combinations of original fan and resistor and new and it always pops that fuse. any advice? or does this still point towards the alternator? not sure why but there are 2 fuses for the blower and it only ever pops that same one.? got a little bit excited when it worked at first only for my hopes to be dashed

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12