1. New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    My 2014 BiTdi battery is starting to struggle after being left for a few days and I don’t think will last the winter. Does a new battery have to be coded to the car or is it just a straight swap out?

Any recommendations on make and model for my car?

Thanks

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes a new battery has to have its details entered into the battery control unit. VCDS can do this but only a limited range of batteries are shown in the coding table so I would replace it with exactly what is in there which means genuine but they are not daft money, at the very worst £234.72 retail inc VAT from the dealer.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanK View Post
    My 2014 BiTdi battery is starting to struggle after being left for a few days and I don’t think will last the winter. Does a new battery have to be coded to the car or is it just a straight swap out?

Thanks

J

Are you driving less this year? It could be the shorter journeys and longer periods between journeys and it’s just not charging enough? When I got my 63 plate new I only did 6k a year for the first four and I was always getting a better low warning. Twice I left it with the the garage for a few days (for other things too) and they left it on charge which generally solved the problem for 8 months or so. Since 2017 doing over 12k a year and I’ve never had a low battery warning.

A6 Avant S-Line BiTdi | born Sept '13 | advanced tech pack | sports diff | privacy glass | 75l fuel tank | lighting pack | HB assist | rear cam
    Q5 S-Line Plus TFSI | born April '11 | tempted to add stage 1 Revo taking HP from 177 to 290.

1 0 0

4. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Yes a new battery has to have its details entered into the battery control unit. VCDS can do this but only a limited range of batteries are shown in the coding table so I would replace it with exactly what is in there which means genuine but they are not daft money, at the very worst £234.72 retail inc VAT from the dealer.
    Does anyone know what would happen if a battery is fitted without coding it with VCDS? IE, in an emergency when the battery suddenly dies and a (wrong) substitute is temporarily fitted, or even the correct battery but without coding it?
    Is this simply a matter that the battery management will get confused, and throw a load of warnings, but eventually adapt itself to the replacement battery with enough driving time?

I seem to remember DPF pressure sensors 'should' be adapted, but will eventually sort themselves out if just fitted and driven.

0 0 0

5. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I don’t wish to come across as rude, but why don’t you just go to your local Halfords, get the battery checked and if needed get them to replace it. I would expect them to have the kit to do that. Problem solved.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0

6. New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elansear View Post
    I don’t wish to come across as rude, but why don’t you just go to your local Halfords, get the battery checked and if needed get them to replace it. I would expect them to have the kit to do that. Problem solved.
    Elansear, because Halfords would likely just take the OPs symptoms and replace the battery. The OPs come to the forum to clarify what he thinks is the best path forward.

It’s entirely possible per my reply above the ops just not doing the mileage right now to full charge the battery.

The OP like many in the forum probably likes to understand his vehicle and what should be done, either to diy, or if he takes to a garage to ensure they know what they are doing. Especially Halfords!

You don’t come across rude, just ignorant on this occasion.

A6 Avant S-Line BiTdi | born Sept '13 | advanced tech pack | sports diff | privacy glass | 75l fuel tank | lighting pack | HB assist | rear cam
    Q5 S-Line Plus TFSI | born April '11 | tempted to add stage 1 Revo taking HP from 177 to 290.

0 0 1

7. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanK View Post

Thanks

J

Hi, yes it will indeed need coding, it's entirely possible that a car battery of that age might need replacement. You can go to Halfords for the replacement or the dealer will be more than happy to take your money.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 1 0

8. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Sorry to be, ignorant, Last time I had them do a battery test, about 2 years ago, they do not charge for testing, so nothing to loose, is there ? perhaps I am completely wrong but would that not give an indication as to what may be happening. Is that not what the OP is trying to ascertain, weather or not the battery is on its way out. I only do 5-6k a year and have not had any problems, mostly short journeys with a longer one say every 5-6 weeks and sometimes left standing for a week or two. Now is that ignorance or experience? or just being unhelpful ...
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 2 0

9. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    They tested a battery on a customer T5 a few weeks ago and said it was healthy, yesterday morning it would barely crank over after being in the workshop over night so it is coming back for a new battery. I did a YUASA from TPS on a 4G, the coding was not on VCDS and I could not justify spending 10 Euro and wasting an hour of my life on ODIS so I just lied and it is fine. Really VCDS need to massively expand their list of batteries.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: New Battery 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I think razor77 might be on the right track. The car hasn’t done any long journeys since mid September and we’d had 2 very cold mornings last week, both with a heavy frost, and the car didn’t struggle to start, it just sounded down on power. Add to that the stop/start hasn’t worked for a couple of months and it adds up to a low battery. At 6.5 years old with 49k on the clock I automatically thought new battery but I’ve put it on a C-Tek and we’ll see what happens.

Out of interest, and to save me looking, is the original an AGM - were they fitting them in early 2014?

0 0 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast