Hi all. I'm hoping to pick your brains here.

Owing to the pros not being able to fit me in for weeks I was forced to change the starter on my 2002 Avant 1.9tdi myself. It's the first time I've crawled under a car in 30yrs and I'm definitely more rusty than my car. Anyway, it was changed and started up fine but when I took it out after that the battery and every other warning light started flashing up, radio turned itself off and the battery died very quickly.

When I fitted the new starter I wasn't able to attach was what I thought was an earth lead to the back of the motor as the new one had a longer body and it wouldn't stretch far enough. I assumed this wouldn't matter as it would be earthed through the engine anyway - was I wrong and could this cause the battery to drain?

Also owing to the delay in getting the right replacement motor (wrong one supplied first time) I'm now doubting my recollection of the connections. The one I couldn't attach has a washer-type ending to fit over a thread, and is attached to the smaller push-on actuator wire (is that the right term). Is this an earth or should it also be attached to the postive on the motor?

I know I've not been very clear here but any advice would be very welcome!