Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronis View Post
    Can you please advise what they did at garage and how they remove this hardware?
    I am very anxious with this idea, thinging or potential damages on the dashboard or annoying sounds.
    Honestly I have no idea. My issue was slightly different to others as it wasn't just the e-sim but the entire screen that was seemingly frozen. Since it was in its been behaving, no rattles or anything similar. Oddly the e-sim now disconnects every so often but I barely drive it to notice due to lockdowns etc. It's back in on Monday for whatever else they said needs doing which I still have no idea. If I used the car more I'd be more frustrated, at this point it's borderline amusing how they want a brand new car in for 4 days total for what seems to me like an easy software fix

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I got my mk8 in December 2020 and I'm experiencing similar problems to many of the users in this thread.

I've setup we connect as a primary user, and I've called their support line who have assured me that my car is 'communicating with the vw servers normally'. The location sharing setting is set to the maximum sharing option.

The main issue is that location services are very patchy. Typically I start a journey and the car's location on the map remains stationary. Then suddenly the location is updated - only for it to randomly return to the starting location. This is actually quite dangerous when you're relying on the satnav for directions, and I've taken to using a backup phone as satnav as the car is just too unpredictable. This issue applies whether I'm using apple carplay and google maps or apple maps, or without carplay using vw's own satnav software.

Emergency Assist alert telling me to take it in for servicing.

Is there is a recommended fix which doesn't require visiting the dealership? This feels like something which should be easily remedied by a software update.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    If the globe on the top right of the infotainment screen is greyed out, then you're not connected. If it's bright, then you are.

However, even if you're not connected the satnav should work properly (perhaps apart from showing traffic congestion).

If your car's position is not showing correctly on the map, I suspect that's a different problem - maybe with the satnav aerial. Looks like you may need to visit the dealer.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I suspect you have the same issue as me (on the car I rejected and the replacement), and occurs in 2 ways but has various symptoms once it occurs:

Failure Sequence 1
    · Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
    · "Error: Emergency Call. Please visit workshop error” on Instrument Cluster
    · SOS Light goes off on roof
    · Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
    · Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster
    · Seems to work again from next day (or hours later after leaving car), but cannot find a way to reset (like second sequence below) (So there is also no access to infotainment as it is stuck on "Loading Settings")

Failure Sequence 2
    · Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
    · SOS is now active message on Instrument Cluster
    · SOS Light goes off on roof
    · Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
    · Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster
    · SOS Light back on on roof
    · To get the Navigation to work again on the Instrument Cluster you need to switch Engine off and wait a while or soft reset the infotainment by holding down the power button

These then result in other issues with the car as well as a lack of access to navigation and sometimes the whole infotainment . The car seems to reset itself to being in Europe. E.g. slowing the car to 44mph on a motorway which I believe is 70kmph and activating undertaking prevention and slowing the car when overtaking as it believes the car is now right hand drive.
    Golf 8 1.5 eTSI, 7-speed DSG, Style, Deep Black Pearl, Rear View camera, UTR

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am also hearing the loud electrical click. tbh I thought it was a quirk of the car, makes sense that it's related to these issues!

Taking it to the dealership this week, any advice on what else to tell them to help them get up to speed quickly, assuming they aren't already aware of this issue?

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I am still waiting on my dealership to get confirmation from Volkswagen on the next course of action.

To me the issues are those covered by the 97EH recall, except my build week (41) is not included, as it is later than the scope of the recall. Software update | GOLFMK8 - VW GTI MK8 Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MK8 Forum / VW e-Golf Forum

Volkswagen seem to have a policy not to allow updates unless they have to, rather than keeping every component on the latest versions and see if that fixes issues proactively. Really these cars need to also OTA updates of all software, not just the infotainment system.

From my perspective I need the updates and the control unit mentioned in the Frankfurter Allgemeine article replaced - Google Translate

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've also had similar issues, with the clicking from the central speaker (its actually a double clicking) andabout 30 seconds later, the activation of the Error SOS emergency call. In my case, this only happens in London and in specific locations. It is intereference via the internet connection and can be stopped by changing privacy settings to private, meaning no internet connection. I am happy with this as have no need for the internet connection. Dealer seemed to have no clue about what causes this.
    I had one of the early steering wheel changes (Sep) to rectify the incessant error messages and this was successful. I am still on 1664 software and everything else works fine

0 1 0

8. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Interesting, thank you. As you say this is location specific as I can get it to fail in specific locations every time. Unfortunately they are on every road out of my home location. So impossible to use the SatNav.
    By "Private" which of the 4 modes do you mean - Maximum Privacy, No Position data, Use my Position. I'd hope at the least to be able to use No Position Data.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 19.18.31.jpg

Also still on 1664, no steering wheel change.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is set to Maximum privacy. I havent checked the 'No position data' as it did occur to me that this may also work in stopping this issue...easy enough to try it and see. I only found this out by chance as was so obvious it was location related and just thought it through logically.

I realise it may not be a fix that suits everybody but I can now relax and enjoy the car, rather than having to worry about constant issues.

I never really had an issue with Satnav when the SOS error messages were activated, apart from once when it completely lost my location.

My biggest fear is when the car goes in for its first service in the not too distant future, new software upgrades that will no doubt be applied may upset the status quo that I have had for the past few months

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine lost its connection on 7th January and was constantly greyed out, had tried a soft reset with no success.

Got into car this morning and it’s working again as normal. Hadn’t done anything differently, same location.

See how long it lasts!

0 0 0

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast