1. Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I've started a specific thread on this as a number of members have reported their Mk8 losing connection to VW Servers on various other threads.

The symptoms are that the Globe symbol on the top right of the infotainment screen is greyed out, the We Connect app does not update with data from the car, and Live Traffic is not displayed on the Sat Nav.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    Had all sorts of issues with the software on my wife's Golf this weekend. Despite selecting the Primary User, the car would not come out of Guest Mode. On the one occassion it did it then reverted to Guest Mode after a short while meaning thedo a factory reset re was no active data connection and therefore no traffic information available for our 160 mile drive. Later in the weekend it kept asking me to log-in to activate any set up user and then ignored the input data. Had to switch to using Maps via CarPlay for the return journey. Yesterday I did a full factory reset and things seem to be a bit better. During this also everytime you started the car kept getting a screen telling us how long the Primary User had been registered for, not sure if that is because it was deciding everyone was a guest. Also on doing a factory reset got a warning message about everythingbeing deleted etc and that the Primary User would get email saying the car had been reset. Guess what, no email!
    Quote Originally Posted by Handydave View Post
    Our Mk8 seems to have lost its connection to the outside world. The globe on the top right of the infotainment screen is sort of greyed out, and the data in the We Connect app hasn't updated for over a week. I've made sure that the e-SIM data connected is set to 'activated'.

Does anyone have a fix for this without doing a 'Reset to Factory Settings' which means going through the whole palaver of setting up the primary user again and restoring the user preferences?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    This is exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Suggest you check the privacy level setting, but in the end I had to do a full reset to get it working properly
    Quote Originally Posted by Hylus View Post
    This started happening on my (3-month old) Mk8 this week also, and I too have my privacy settings unrestricted. My software version is 1664. The last journey information from the car that's visible on the we-connect portal is from Oct 21st... so that's when it last had a connection i guess. I've contacted VW support about the issue but i'm not holding my breath.... they weren't much help with other infotainment issues i had before :/
    I'll post up any info / solutions if i get them.

I'm gonna give it a few days to see if it fixes itself or VW somehow fix it, remotely. I really don't want to have to do a hard reset as all the driving history associated with users gets deleted from their profiles on the we-connect app/portal (which is what happened the last time i was forced to reset it)

In trying to fix this latest issue, I've tried changing user profiles, changing privacy settings, changing wifi networks, using a personal hotspot and also holding the power button down on the infotainment system until it resets... none made any difference. If anyone figures out how to fix this, let me know. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperSniper93 View Post
    My Golf MK8 didn’t upload any data to WeConnect from 15th October until yesterday when it randomly started working again despite not doing anything differently. Weirdly when I got in the car it was in the ‘Guest’ user profile rather than mine (The primary user). During the outage the globe at the top right of the Infotainment screen (Which I assume shows the status of the Internet connection) was showing but was greyed out, since yesterday it has been lit up normally.

I’d try switching to the guest user, switch off the car and leave it overnight and then sign back in as the primary user the next day to try and resolve the issue but other than that I wonder if VW are doing something to the backend systems their end which is causing random Golfs to not connect for a while
    Last edited by Handydave; 27-10-2020 at 08:03 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperSniper93 View Post
    I’d try switching to the guest user, switch off the car and leave it overnight and then sign back in as the primary user the next day to try and resolve the issue but other than that I wonder if VW are doing something to the backend systems their end which is causing random Golfs to not connect for a while
    It was worth a try, but unfortunately this didn't force our Golf to re-connect.

I feel a Factory Reset coming on.....
    Last edited by Handydave; 27-10-2020 at 08:04 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I called VW customer support (as I got sick of waiting for them to reply to the online case i submitted), they in turn directed me to We-Connect / Digital support. I explained the problem and the support agent told me to enable the eSIM (thereby disabling wifi connections) and asked me to confirm whether the LED of the SOS button on the roof was illuminated in either a steady state or whether it was flashing (it was a steady green colour). The support agent then said he would get the tech-support teams to "send a signal" to the vehicle to "wake" the eSIM and would be in touch after they've attempted to do this. If it doesn't work, i'll need to bring the vehicle to a service centre he said. I'd recommend everyone who has this issue, to call the we-connect support number (found on the we-connect portal) and log the issue in the hopes that if multiple cases are reported, they'll actually prioritize the investigation & resolution of the issue for everyone.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    @Hylus - very helpful.

On ours (which is still not connecting) the led beside the SOS button is also a steady green.

Agree that anyone who experiences this issue should log it with WeConnect DIgital Support (btw, their contact details are: weconnect-support@volkswagen.de and 0800 279 750 8)

Have sent them the following email.

Dear WeConnect Digital Support,

Our VW Golf Mk8 (reg no: xxx xxxx VIN: WVWxxxxxxxxxxxx) appears to have lost its connection to your servers. The globe symbol at the top right of the infotainment screen is greyed out, live traffic is not working, and the WeConnect app has not updated the vehicle data since 16 October (although the car is used daily).

I have switched the eSIM off and on again (in the Settings/Data Connection) and the light beside the SOS button on the roof console is steady green.

I’m keen to avoid a factory reset, as this loses the user settings and means you have to reset the primary user and re-pair the mobile phones.

Can you help, please?

Will keep you posted......
    Last edited by Handydave; 27-10-2020 at 08:06 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    When in doubt, factory reset the system and drive around to a different area. I had a week long period where I had no connection, found out the week later than it would connect in other areas (a mile or so away from my house), so I put it down to an issue with the 4g towers the sim company uses.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Have received the following from WeConnect Support. Looks like it’s a factory reset.....

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering some issues with the registration to We Connect of your Volkswagen Golf 8 reported in 27/10/2020.

However, we will try to do everything possible to assist you.

In this case, a factory reset followed by an activation and deactivation of the privacy settings is the official troublehsotting we have received from the technical offices of Volkswagen, so in this case a factory reset and a re-enrollment is highly recommended.

If after the factory settings and the privacy settings troubleshooting step has not resolved the issue then we may need to contact your preferred service partner to send them workshop solutions.

Please be so kind to follow the next steps:

1. Delete your account from the infotainment system

2. Delete the vehicle from the We connect account in the We Connect website

3. Perform a factory reset from the infotainment system (Menu-Settings-Factory Settings- Reset Settings to factory settings- Confirm the reset).

4. Exit the vehicle and leave it fully locked with the engine and the infotainment system off for 5-10 mins.

5. Turn the ignition on

6. Login to your account in the infotainment system after having the vehicle re-added in the website and try to become the Main User.

If the above steps did not resolve the issue, please be so kind to follow the last steps below:

1. Set privacy mode to maximum for about 10-20 sec. : Go to Menu-Users-Settings (bottom right side)-Privacy Settings & Services- Select the first option (Full privacy) and have it in this state for 10-20 seconds.

2. Then Select the last option (Share my location / position)

3. Exit the vehicle and leave it fully locked for at least 10 minutes

4. The online services will be available again at the next start.

If none of the above solutions has worked, then it may be a hardware issue. In this case, please be so kind to provide information regarding your preferred service partner to contact them and provide the solutions that we have.

We apologise for the inconvenience. We remain at you disposal around the clock, 7 days a week. You may reply to this email, or call us in our direct line 0800-2797508 (around the clock, 7 days a week).

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Ah that very specific time of 5-10 minutes.

4 minutes 59 or 10 minutes 1 second and you've ballsed it up

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Interesting, I just received this response just now and I need to bring it into a service centre :-(

“We are pleased to be able to tell you that, based on our analysis, a solution is available for the problem you encounter when trying to use the “We Connect” services.

In order to carry out the necessary steps, it is necessary that you visit your authorised Volkswagen service facility. Please make an appointment with your preferred Volkswagen workshop.

If you like, you can also tell us your preferred Volkswagen service facility where you want to go for the solution. We will then share information about the necessary steps with them in advance.

We ask for your understanding and would like to apologise for the inconvenience.”

I hope whatever caused this, won’t require ongoing quarterly visits to a service centre to repair!! This is the second major issue I’ve had with the infotainment system / we connect service and the car is only 2 months old!

0 1 0

9. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Ok, an update.

The factory reset did not solve the problem.

So I made an appointment with the dealer and took the car in today. Was seen by the service manager, who was very apologetic.

When I collected it, he told me he'd been in touch with VW HQ and there is a known fault with the comms.

He showed me a VW service bulletin which said that a new software update / api is being developed for the aerial control module and to postpone repairs until this is available. It mentioned problems with Emergency Assist etc.

There is no indication when the update will be available, and he'll be in touch. There were around 6 pages in the bulletin. This did give a fair degree of confidence.

BUT, the dealer must have done something because, when I got home, the little globe on the top right of the infotainment screen was no longer greyed out.

I went to Users/Settings and was able to log in, and then to become the primary user (using the unlock on both keys method).

So comms seem to have been restored and the app is now updating. But had to go through the palaver of redoing the user settings, radio and satnav favourites and re-pairing phones.

Will keep you posted on any further progress.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Interesting that you say the globe icon is illuminated again, because as of this morning, mine is also illuminated and the car is connecting to the internet again. I haven’t done a reset nor brought my car to the service centre yet (when I called to book it in, they hadn’t received the instructions from We-Connect digital services yet).

VW must have done something on their side to restore some connectivity for vehicles.

On a side note, mine is still displaying a hazard assist/Car-2X unavailable warning - even when connected to the internet - maybe that’s linked to what you said about the update they’re working on for the emergency assist systems!

I’ll also keep you posted on what my service centre say to me on Monday. It will at least be reassuring to know if it’s the same message you got from yours!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast