1. Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Keep getting a low battery warning on the Passat estate - it’s a 2016 model. Taken it for a drive and it goes away but not before long it comes back. It’s now saying battery almost flat.

Thinking of just fitting a new battery but wondering if it need to go into a dealer rather then just kwikfit?
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

2. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    If it has Stop/ Start it will need an AGM replacement battery.
    Then after fitting, coding with VCDS so the electronics knows there is a new battery fitted & charges accordingly.

0 0 0

3. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks wasn’t aware of the coding requirement. I assume any reputable garage can do that now.
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

4. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    "
    I assume any reputable garage can do that now. "

I don't think so.

They would need specific VW software like VCDS to get into the battery module.

0 0 0

5. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a similar 2015 model GT Bi-Turbo 4-Motion Passat Estate and noticed last year that cold starting the engine was beginning to sound as though the battery was approaching the end of its useful life - no battery warnings though.

I bought a replacement battery with a five year warranty from Halfords. They fitted it, then plugged in a box and pressed its buttons for a while and that was that. It seemed that the button pressing also turned off some features in the Driver Assistance Pack, but when I drove it the next day everything was working normally.

In November 2019 the battery cost £157 fitted. I see that today's price has advanced to £184.

0 0 0

6. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You were lucky! For the first time in my long life I discovered that I should not change the battery unless I have VCDS/diagnostics to 'register it'.
    So in these difficult times I decided to spend £25 for Halfords to come to my house and do it for me. The advert clearly stated they would register it with the ECU. Good. I then got confirmation of payment emails from a mobile tyre firm! (Halfords have bought them it seems). I emailed them asking them to confirm they will register the new battery with the ECU and they confirmed this by email. Bang on time the chap arrived to change the battery and I asked if he had the diagnostic gear before he started the job. He had no idea what I was talking about and 'I've done loads' he said. He then rang his manager who 'confirmed' they had a 'new way' of registering the battery. Steering wheel 3 turns left then 3 turns right. I said thats for the power steering so he decided to leave it and I got a refund. So there's a lot of B8's out there that don't have the battery registered to the ECU. The worst thing is that after a month of chasing I have not had one single call/email to apologise.
    That was pretty poor but is now history, What I cant get my mind around is why this car needs a lengthy serial number copied from the battery BEM label so it knows how the charge it appropriately. Isnt the cars charging system clever enough the charge at the correct level? Modern chargers manage it. If it really needs to know its a new battery why not just tick the VCDS box to say 'New'.

0 0 0

7. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I believe that if the battery is not coded in at the time of fitting that the system will slowly adjust to a revised charging regime.

0 0 0

8. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 32110 View Post
    I believe that if the battery is not coded in at the time of fitting that the system will slowly adjust to a revised charging regime.
    Hi, I would like to think that was correct but my email back from VW says a replacement battery needs to be coded and the Halfords advert says they do it. If it slowly adjusts then why go to the trouble of typing into VCDS a string of numbers copied from the new battery. All so annoying really

0 0 0

9. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Different batteries have different optimum settings for bulk, absorption and float charging stages. A lot of very fancy battery chargers are programmable for each stage. Less fancy ones can at least be configured for the battery type (wet cell, gel, AGM etc.). I'm sceptical that a charger could correctly and safely auto-configure itself.

There may be safety issues with trying to charge a conventional lead acid battery as though it were an AGM battery, in the eventuality that someone put the wrong battery type in.

0 0 0

10. Re: Low battery warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    In my post above I was referring to the vehicle charging system rather than external battery charger.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast