Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    04 Passat, 2.0 petrol, 108,000 miles.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

About once a month (for the past 3 months) I get an ESP warning light up on the dashboard, probably doing about 500 miles a month these days, down from the 1500 miles a month the car used to do. Seems to appear when cruising on the motorway, certainly no violent maneuvers involved at the time. This last time the ABS light came on a few minutes later, switching off the engine and restarting clears the light/s each time.

VCDS gives the following codes:

01542 Yaw Rate Sensor Impausible Signal

00526 Brake Light Switch Implausible Signal

Car seems to handle and brake absolutely fine and I've repeatedly checked the brake lights and and can't fault them.

I can't see how it's connected (if it is) but the opening of all the doors is suddenly no longer recognised (no interior light, relocking or alarm going off after 30 seconds if key not in ignition) and the Central Convenience Module is showing codes 00928, 00929, 00930, 00931, i.e. Implausible Signal on all the door lock modules.

All the issues are shown as intermittent but before I start chasing cabling all over the car has anybody had similar and found the common denominator.
    Oh, and before it's suggested, plenium chamber is clear, drain bungs long removed, no damp carpets either side under the front seats.

Thanks in advance Ian

0 0 0

2. Re: Intermittent ESP & ABS warning lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Both those are common faults, they are both easy to change and the pedal switch cheap but a new sensor (under the back seat) is daft money at £928.67, part number 8E0 907 637 A and shared with the A4. A new sensor has to be calibrated but this is easy with VCDS.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Intermittent ESP & ABS warning lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick response Crasher, so you think the 3 problems coming up at the same time are pure coincidence.

I'll fit a new brake switch, they're cheap enough and see whether the Yaw Sensor is within spec, if not I'll do the "Basic Setting" and see whether it comes in. If it doesn't it'll be an ..bay replacement, I can buy an awful lot of £5 secondhand ones for the cost of a new one (I appreciate that as a professional you don't have that option).

Any thoughts on all the doors not triggering the interior lights, disarming the alarm, giving a headlights on warning? Has to be CCM, or it's wiring, doesn't it?

Regards Ian

0 0 0

4. Re: Intermittent ESP & ABS warning lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Well I am converting my Octavia to ESP and the factory combi sensor made my eyes water at £752.78 so just in case I fail to make the idea work I am starting with a fleaBay part to begin and if it all works as planned I will fit a genuine one. As you say though, no way would I fit a used one on a customers car, used parts are a big risk and I have been burnt many times but when it comes to safety systems, it just isn't worth the risk.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Intermittent ESP & ABS warning lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Time to revive this thread and see if anybody has any thoughts.

The faults seemed to go away by themselves and I hadn't thought about them for a while until my son borrowed the car and his very active twin sons strapped in the back caused the ESP light to start flashing again. The ABS was activating with the flashing and the quickest way to stop it was to switch off the ESP whenever he carried kids around.
    I've now got the car back and having put almost 500 solo miles on it, haven't had any recurrence. I pulled out the back seat this morning expecting to find a damaged cable or a poorly seated plug, but nothing obvious at all and I can't replicate the fault by moving the cable or banging the top of the sensor. Unless anybody has any other suggestions I'm tempted to try a second hand sensor off ebay but would appreciate any other thoughts as to the cause.

0 0 0