Notices

User Tag List

Thread: LED headlight / fog light upgrade?

1. Cool LED headlight / fog light upgrade? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Evening all,

I've recently had to spend a lot of money on my Passat B6 which means it will be hanging around for a few more years, because of this I want to freshen it up and make it look more modern. One of the ideas I have is to change all the bulbs to LED's, I've changed the rear number plate bulbs and the front side lights and have bought some bulbs for the interior but the headlights and fog lights seem a bit more difficult as there are so many on the market and a lot are advertised as error free but turn out not to be, it's a bit of a minefield.

I'm aware you'll most likely need bulb holders to replace the H7's, I've not looked in to the fog lights yet.

Has anyone switched to LED's, if so how are you finding them, which bulbs did you get, did you get any errors on the dash and are they easy enough to fit?

Many thanks,

Nick.
    Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI SE NAV DSG 4motion 195bhp (Stage 1 remap)

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

2. Re: LED headlight / fog light upgrade? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Bear in mind it is illegal and an MOT failure to put an LED bulb in any exterior light fitting designed for an incandescent bulb. Also you are likely to have a lot of bulb failure warnings due to the lower curent draw and it may not be possible to code these out. I am just freshening up my Octavia to make it last another decade.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Thumbs up Re: LED headlight / fog light upgrade? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Decided against LED's and opted for OSRAM H7 Night Breaker Laser (not sure what's laser about them!), probably one of the whitest standard bulbs I've seen, got some great reviews but also seen some bad ones about them lasting only a month or 2 so fingers crossed. I also got the HB4 for the front fog lights and W5W for the side lights, again both OSRAM but the Xenon style cool blue (but they are very white).

Also changed all the interior bulbs, including in the glove box to cool white LEDS, looks a lot more modern now.

IMG_1896.jpg IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1920.jpg
    Last edited by nick.king; 11-12-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI SE NAV DSG 4motion 195bhp (Stage 1 remap)

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

4. Re: LED headlight / fog light upgrade? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep I've done the same on my Touran, they really are excellent aren't they? I would hope mine last for at least 18 months to heal some of the pain in fitting them (poor access) !
    2016 MY Touran SEL 5T 2.0 TDI-CR 150PS DFEA

2004 MY Audi A2 1.4 TDI-PD 90PS ATL

0 1 0