Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    As the title says, my Golf has cut out whilst driving on 2 occasions in 1 week.

The first time, I was on the bypass doing roughly 50mph - the car was not fully warmed up, and I had done barely a few miles, then all of a sudden I felt a judder and loss of power then it cut out.

It would then tick over but wouldn't start, so I got it towed to my local garage.

Immediately, the fuel pump was diagnosed as knackered, so it was replaced. However the mystery continued as the garage had more issues then they finally found a relay was faulty too.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, and relay was changed and I had the car back. So I decided to take it for a ride the next day, but it did the exact same thing at about 50mph but I'd done a good 10 miles or so.

Eventually I got towed back to the garage and today they have had a look and told me it started first time and is running again??

I've read a few similar posts and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I know the crank sensor was replaced not that long ago, which is something that has been linked to this fault.

The garage are going to keep hold of the car and run it to see if they can recreate the fault, so in the meantime I thought I would post this issue.

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Do they have a decent diagnostics system to check for codes?

Why was the crank sensor replaced previously, and was it a VAG or quality part rather than something that might be flaky? Have they checked that the wiring on it is snuggly in place, and not left loose to shake or chaff?
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Do they have a decent diagnostics system to check for codes?

Why was the crank sensor replaced previously, and was it a VAG or quality part rather than something that might be flaky? Have they checked that the wiring on it is snuggly in place, and not left loose to shake or chaff?
    It was changed under warranty by the dealer about a year and a half ago when i first bought the car. He took it to an ex VW mechanic, who also sourced the part, so not sure about the quality of it. I remember I found that when the car was warmed up, it took a fair few cranks to get started, so thats the reason it was changed.

Yeah the guys have got decent enough diagnostics but I'll query that next time they ring as its still there.

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post
    As the title says, my Golf has cut out whilst driving on 2 occasions in 1 week.

The first time, I was on the bypass doing roughly 50mph - the car was not fully warmed up, and I had done barely a few miles, then all of a sudden I felt a judder and loss of power then it cut out.

It would then tick over but wouldn't start, so I got it towed to my local garage.

Immediately, the fuel pump was diagnosed as knackered, so it was replaced. However the mystery continued as the garage had more issues then they finally found a relay was faulty too.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, and relay was changed and I had the car back. So I decided to take it for a ride the next day, but it did the exact same thing at about 50mph but I'd done a good 10 miles or so.

Eventually I got towed back to the garage and today they have had a look and told me it started first time and is running again??

I've read a few similar posts and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I know the crank sensor was replaced not that long ago, which is something that has been linked to this fault.

The garage are going to keep hold of the car and run it to see if they can recreate the fault, so in the meantime I thought I would post this issue.
    Make a diagnostic in ecm

Sent from my SM-J415F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Test the N249 Valve to the turbo. Very easy to change. Original costs around £60.
    It has been updated with a new part number.
    Car will throw a faultcode if this is the case

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Update:

The car has been driven around and left ticking over to get the fault to reoccur.

Eventually when ticking over it started running rough like i was only on a few cylinders, then it finally conked out and would not start again.

The only fault codes being picked up are glow plug related but they thing that has nothing to do with it, but suspect its fuel injector related.

They recommended phoning VW as they said there was a recall on my engine BKD with the fuel injectors - I rang but theres no recall for my car.

Its getting kept a bit longer to completely verify what the issue is.

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Worst case is the timing chain having skipped a tooth, but then the engine would be toast. Did you find out what the problem was?

0 0 0

8. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieltv View Post
    Worst case is the timing chain having skipped a tooth, but then the engine would be toast. Did you find out what the problem was?
    Its still not been properly 100% diagnosed as the garage it is at hasn't got the right equipment to delve deeper.

The only garages are VW and a place in Chester that charges £200 for 2hrs diagnosis.

The injectors was the only thing the garage could think of without having a specific objective fault number or what ever would be found with better equipment.

I am weighing up the options whether to take it further or just sell the car for spares or repair as Ive already spent £450 and its only worth £2000 or maybe a bit more on a good day.

0 0 0

9. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post
    They recommended phoning VW as they said there was a recall on my engine BKD with the fuel injectors - I rang but theres no recall for my car.
    The recall was on BMN I think - largely same but the 170BHP version and hence different injectors.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

10. Re: VW Golf Mk5 Gt Sport 140 (2008) - Cuts out whilst driving! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    The recall was on BMN I think - largely same but the 170BHP version and hence different injectors.
    I think the recall is called 24S something. It was a remap with more fuel to cyl 3 on engine code BMY

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast