Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop.

1. Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi all, I have a strange braking sensation, when coming to a stop the brake pedal sort of vibrates a bit and you can hear a grinding sound. This does not happen all of the time and does not happen when braking hard from speed.

i have taken out the front brake pads and there is a good 6mm of pad left. One strange thing I did notice Was on the inboard side of the disc, around the last 10mm or so of the circumference, there is a build up of rust, like the pad is not sweeping the disk fully. I have cleaned up all the pad areas on the carrier so the pads move freely, I have also copper greased these areas and back of pads. This has greatly improved things, so I believe under heavy braking the radial forces on the pad means it stays slightly cocked over, then as you come to a rest, the forces decrease and the pad moves and sweeps onto the rusty area.

Lots us of people on the net seem to think it’s the ABS cutting in, but I am not at all convinced of this. Before I fork out on new Oem pads and discs, has anyone else had this issue and rectified it. Just to add, my ABS module was recently sent away for repair after the ABS light and traction control light was intermittently illuminating, this is now sorted, but I felt this grinding and pedal vibration a few times before.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to any input.

0 0 0

2. Re: Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I think you will find that it is the ABS.

What I think is happening is that as the wheel slows, the signal from the ABS sensor gradually weakens due to the magnetic field change also slowing.
    This gives a reduced signal until it is insufficient for the ABS module to detect it.
    The ABS then thinks, no signal, the wheel must have locked up, so activates which is what you can feel in the brake pedal.

You will need to find out which sensor is triggering the ABS.

Suggest you get VCDS connected, then rotate each wheel & check the ABS pulses being received from each wheel.

On one wheel i'm sure you will see the signal disapear during slow revolution of the wheel.

That sensor will either need renewing or cleaning, or could even be a wheel bearing wearing allowing the sensor gap to increase with the same results.

0 0 0

3. Re: Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    ok, thanks for the input. The garage did do readings on each sensor a couple of months ago, this was how they determined the module was faulty. It’s seems strange that I have cleaned and greased the pad metal areas and this seems to have improved things.

0 0 0

4. Re: Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Sticky piston on the calipers, push the pistons all the way back in and bring them back out with the pedal. Did you grease the sliding pins, I use red rubber grease on those.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Strange braking sensation, grinding noise when braking to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The noise and pedal sensation has gone away on its own at the moment, I now believe as mentioned above that it’s probably a dirty ABS sensor. If it comes back I will take it in to my local indi and see if they can pin point which sensor is causing the issue and give it a good clean.

0 0 0