Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Without a scan we are running blind.
    That said failed injectors that produce excessive smoke are mechanical worn out, not normally detectable by the glow plug light.
    If you need to pay someone to come out - just a cheap an option would be an obdeleven - then you have it for again...
    OBDeleven device
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

2. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers Stewart that’s a good idea. I’d looked into them long ago and forgotten.
    But looking again now I find it’s a bit of a minefield to find one that talks to your car effectively..
    As my phone isn’t so reliable I’d prefer a hand held type scanner despite most reviews stating that the Bluetooth type work best. My phone is iOS and although I’ve found scanners that work with both Android + iOS, I remind myself that my phone barely works at the best of times!
    So I’m left trying to find a handheld that’s efficient enough for cheapest money either new or an eBay used one. I don’t want to pay more than 50-60 pounds really but of course less would be better for me.
    Have you or anyone got any recommendations for a scanner pls guys

0 0 0

3. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    there is a gen 2 obdeleven, its VAG licensed and woks with apple - other handhelds in that price range are half the tool with what they can do -I had a vgate VS450 - it should read the codes ok and do a few other things, maybe there is a newer model since i looked at them.
    Stewart
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)

0 0 0

4. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    swwalker, I notice you have a Coupe quattro... one of my customers has an 84 JS GT, an 87 KV GT (now 2350cc), an 86 Coupe quattro KV (that will be 2.5 when restored) and a 91 RR Quattro. The CQ has been fully painted underneath with a new boot floor, next it is the running gear and then back for external paint.

GT with a 2337cc overbore

Coupe quattro engine bay

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Alpine white - that's what mine is and they deffo need the side strips.
    I had 2 WRs at a time, and my dad has the GT. All in alpine white.
    The WR moved on to this girls dad, she has the garage I (most of us) want...
    Tour of my main 3 project cars I 1986 Audi Quattro I 1976 Audi 50 I 1971 Audi 100 coupe S - YouTube
    Stewart
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)

0 0 0

6. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Coupe S... stop talking dirty
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey Stewart n fellas ..... well I may have had a spot of good luck.
    I got a used handheld obd2 scanner not 11 although I know they’re better, anyway I got an oldish Foxwell nt644. The guy actually tried to pull a fast one on me so I’m sending it back but getting to you it beforehand so quids in!!
    Anyway it started off kicking up acode for the engine something like 04160 which correlated to a dodgy injector. I was ready to jump in and start pulling injectors to find the faulty one but beforehand thought I’d try erasing codes to see if they come back but after scanning again it just said PASS.
    I crank it over and vroom starts no problem!

Now perhaps stupidly I then run a full system scan which after an hour or so with ignition on I then find the battery has run down so much so that it’s hard to get it started and when it does start I’m back to running like it’s misfiring and showing symptoms of a dodgy injector... again.
    I’m thinking it was me leaving the ignition on for so long, battery not got enough juice to work the car properly... but then why does it just not start? I’d prefer that then starting but running like a pig and making me think an injector is faulty.. I reckon even if I recharged the battery it still wouldn’t run right until I erase the codes again.. is that normal?

Anyway today charged battery again and after a shorter scan with charger plugged in I erase the codes and vroom again she’s back to her old self idling very nicely.

Another thing. I replaced the battery 3 years ago with a nice one from Varta after we were left sitting for a day down in a Cornish service station on “holiday”. Somewhere in a forum I read that if I replace the battery with a like for like then it’s not necessary to code the battery to the car. Sound about right?

Well it’s been fine for 2.5 years without being coded to the car, until a year or so ago I let it sit for 3 weeks which led to me having problems getting it started. However I got past that and it was fine until earlier this year when the symptoms of a dodgy injector started happening... and you know the rest.

Moving forward I thought that I’d use the obd scanner to validate the battery to the car... a bit late so don’t know if it’s necessary. However the scanner refused saying that it didn’t recognise the numbers and check with manufacturer!
    I read that faced with this problem its advised to use the number from the old battery and change the last digit but I don’t have the battery any longer. I do recall that the original was also a Varta albeit of a slightly lower ah (110ah). Should I just leave it, or could this be partly the reason for my problems? Surely after 2-3 yrs not being coded, it can’t be!

Sorry for the earful guys... I’ve not left a comment for a while so am making up for it

0 0 0

8. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is important that the battery is properly coded and the correct one, fitting a conventil one instead of an AGM causes all sorts of trouble but I am seeing AGM batteries fail at three years old.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12