Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ok fellas please help me to maybe get to the bottom of this.
    I’ve read a lot of threads about both faulty injectors and egr valves but I’m still not sure which could be the issue with my car. i haven’t got a vcds to read the codes but I will get down to the local VAG guy and get it done soon.

Symptoms are: Car was driving fine until May then I found it would idle like an old transit van, I’m guessing a misfire. I got around this by giving a bit of throttle on ignition and it would then instantly idle fine and drive fine, just had that problem starting up. After a little research I thought perhaps it was a blocked egr valve.

I parked the car car up over the summer from June until now without it being used. Now I’ve charged the battery to start using it again but it wouldn’t start, just the transit van chug for a couple of seconds and it would die... lots of white smoke out the exhausts.
    I persevered today and after a few goes I got past 5 seconds of chugging and it started fine then settled at a calm idle. There was less white smoke and after a minute the smoke didn’t come any more. So now I’m back to how it was in May.
    i was surprised to see that my coolant was way below the MIN line, as it never lost coolant before this started happening back in May.

i thought to myself oh **** this could be the injectors but after a bit more research I know it’s gonna be them or the egr valve.
    i think the white smoke was probably the coolant but I could be wrong. I didn’t know until tonight that the egr does have coolant. So could it be a faulty egr valve? I don’t know if the injectors are able to leak coolant.

its a 2008 3.0 tdi Quattro auto with the ASB engine. 177k miles. The injectors were changed around 100k I think and around that time the first owner replaced swirl flaps and egr I think. Something about banks in the service history I recall. It’s been ages since I read through it as have a mad toddler to deal with a lot of the time.

if it’s the injectors then I’m hoping that I can get away with just changing the faulty one (s) to keep costs to a minimum. Egr valve etc, I know gupsterg wrote a great thread on cleaning and sorting his, I am ready to do the mucky clean up...marigolds and associated cleaning products are in hand and ready to go if need be... but can you clean and unclog an egr valve if it’s so far gone that coolant is leaking??

Gotta sort this asap so cheers guys with the info!

0 0 0

2. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    white smoke could be unburnt fuel or coolant- depends on the smell, from your description unburnt fuel, but then you say the coolant is low?!?! is it harder to start after a run or much the same?
    The ASB doesn't have as much problems with injectors like its predecessor 3.0 - not sure of the engine code, but if its been messed with already who knows what is in there.
    Which ever it seems to be more mechanical so a code read wont give you a definite answer but could lead you there.
    keep us updated and hopefully we wil get it sorted without much fuss( money)
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

3. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)
    Check to see if the oil level is going up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey guys thanks for the quick replies!!

Crasher - actually the oil level was quite low. Usually I change it yearly but doing the subframe bushes and arms etc I missed out last summers oil change. I’ve heard that these do usually lose oil eg I have the sludge that leaks over the back from the crank case overflow pipe near the turbo. Anyway I’m saying that I expect it to be a bit low. It’s certainly not high, which I’ve heard is another indicator of bad injectors I think?

Swwalker - yeah it’s always the same to start it since May. A little bit of throttle then after a sec it idles at the usual 900rpm odd and drives fine. The smoke smelt bad... can’t really describe it. Didn’t smell like petrol or diesel but could be wrong. Smelt more like burnt chemical smoke. It dissipated too quick to get a better whiff and it doesn’t smoke now. Only happened after letting it sit for 3 months. And yeah the coolant has never been low until now.

Once I know which it is I can eith clean the egr valve or replace the dodgy injector. Is it possible to clean the egr even if it’s so far gone to leak coolant.
    do we think it’s one of these 2 problems or is there something else it could be perhaps?

Cheers for advice fellas it’s much appreciated

0 0 0

5. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    hmm sounds like diesel smell - but as crasher said leaky injector would see fuel in the oil.
    coolant would smell sweet-ish, to further eliminate coolant try this.

with the engine cold - remove the expansion tank top, start the engine and hold about 2 - 3 k revs for a few seconds and lift off, you will see an overflow of coolant if you have any issues with the coolant getting into the cylinder.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

6. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If the smell/smoke makes your eyes water, then that is almost certainly going to be unburnt fuel, ie a dodgy injector.

Have you taken a sample of the fuel? thinkig fuel bug from standing all that time, common problem in the leisure boat world, some good additive out there, not injecotr cleaner, but specific biocides.

0 0 0

7. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1828 Post(s)
    Not directly relevant but over the last few weeks we have had a battle with a T5 that kept cutting out due to what looked like fuel starvation but also, which I didn’t think was related, the exhaust fumes were awful, a blue tinged swirling mist of vapour that would drift along the car park and make your eyes water 50 feet away. In the end we discovered that there was air in the fuel system and after replacing everything (and I mean EVERYTHING including the tank) I figured it was combustion gases getting past the injector fire seals and into the injector fuel feed then into the return and building up until eventually the engine cut out. This could happen on any injector design where combustion gases can get into the fuel but on everything I have ever come across the problem is masked by the contaminated fuel going back to the tank (often via a fuel cooler) and being able to gas off and return clean. On this particular, uncommon, BPC 174PS engine there is hardly any fuel return (I can’t work out why they did this) and no cooler so the fuel could not gas off until I rigged up a temporary system that allowed it to. We took off the cam cover, found the cam was absolutely battered and fitted a new one plus injector seal kits from Febi and even though the injector bores looked very badly worn, after reassembly the air in the return vanished. The side effect of curing this was the exhaust fumes were massively improved and that is even taking into account that it is illegally modified for no DPF, no EGR and remapped. After giving him the latest bill, I dare not put forward the idea of reinstating the systems... I will leave that until it fails the MOT...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for your replies guys.....

Finally got a bit of time for the A6 today what with the usuals plus my toddlers pending birthday and a very needy 81 year old mum to care for....

Not really good news I think tbh... 1 small victory was that I fixed my jammed bonnet catch.. I assumed it was a broken cable but no it was just sticking so lubed up and ready to go oohherrr haha.. Ok the rest is all bad news.

Its been I week or so and the A6 was a bit difficult to start again. 4 or 5 goes later and with a bit extra of throttle it got past the mk1 transit sound and settled at a steady idle. Quite a lot of smoke so I jumped out the car and ran into the smoke wafting it towards me hoping to discern what it smelt like. I’d say it smelt like fire.. like fireworks maybe but less nice. Not pleasant but definitely not sweet.
    I had already removed the expansion tank cap as per Stewarts instructions so then revved it to 2-3000 rpm for a few secs. Looked at the expansion tank but no overflow....

I thought I’d warm the engine up then turn it off and see how it starts.
    So now I restart with the usual throttle except now it started but wouldn’t idle as before and run fine. Now it starts but it won’t rev properly and the glow plug is flashing. I’m guessing it is in limp mode since I’ve never seen it before and I’m assuming that an injector is faulty.

I'm hoping that I can get it scanned and just replace the one faulty injector since I’ve got too many other things to buy at the mo.

After checking online I’m a little confused because some guys said that faulty injectors don’t put the car into limp mode so it be something else....

What do you guys think?

0 0 0

9. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    You need to get it scanned now to see what fault code is flashing the glow plug light.
    The injectors values can be checked at same time.

0 0 0

10. Re: Faulty injector or faulty EGR valve??? Grrrrr love this car but I spend more time fixing it haha 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah I plan to get it scanned but as it’s not in the road right now I need to find someone that can come to me. Honestly I’m not sure that I’ll stump up the insurance + tax again if it’s going to need a whole bunch of injectors.

Can anyone shine a light on my last post and most recent findings please... maybe Stewart or Crash. Can a flashing glow plug indicate faulty injectors or am I being led up the garden path??

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast