1. Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Helo everyone, yet back with a weird problem sound.

Engine is as above code crlb 129k miles, no dtc, no issues but a weird sound as per following link:

2.0 tdi unknown sound 2 - YouTube

No clue what it is and cause of for last 1500 miles since noticed. Do to it and that was do soon on the car :

* Cambelt with water pump
    * Glow plugs( as one was playing up
    * Cambelt again without water pump thinking might be related causing the sound.
    * Aux belt and tensioner also suspected as i had a spare kit.

I usee a stethoscope to try to pin point it and the loudest it can be heard from injector 4 feed pipe.

Any opinions?

0 0 0

2. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    It says age restricted and I don't have an account to sign in with. On the plus side, pretty sure I wouldn't have known what it was .
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

1 0 0

3. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Always associated that noise with an aux belt pulley. Run car with aux belt disconnected to see if one of the pulleys/idlers on its round is the culprit

0 0 0

4. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This engine is gaining a reputation for terrible problems with the VVT unit and wear of the cam to cam drive gears on the end of the head above the gearbox. The system has been revised five times and before ordering any new parts, the old system has to be removed and checked to see what is fitted so the correct parts can be ordered. You need to get someone who knows the EA288 to listen to the noise directly.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

5. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    @Roverfan; i usually think the same but not the case here.
    @Crasher 04L109096 is what i have on the housing but my parts catalogue says is supposed to be 03L109096 B, and apparently... if I have 04L109096 housing the 04L906455G is the operating valve so for housing 03L109096 B operating valve should be 03L906455C.

i think you are might be very right about the sound coming from Crasher take a look of this from minute 6:00 to 7:00 it has the same sound, and yes i had a few occasions when it cranked longer to start... but did not though much of as it a happened vary rare... 4 times in the last 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvHdmq0reA

@20:45 the high pitch sound is not present anymore.

can you please confirm the part numbers are the latest revisions of what is fitted or i one after the 2019 revision?

0 0 0

6. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I need your REG by private message to continue
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sent. Thank you.

Seems like the part catalogue i have is pretty useless...

I am using engine oil G 052 195 M4 is this being superseded by something else also?
    Last edited by N871BUD; 25-09-2020 at 01:00 PM.

0 0 0

8. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Even the full VAG system ETKA online needs to use info of the old parts on this job. I will have my lunch first.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

9. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Even the full VAG system ETKA online needs to use info of the old parts on this job. I will have my lunch first.
    Hi everyone time to update this i think... sort of... as end result is next to nothing as i am spinning in a dealership circle with no exit.

After my last post i have been to a skoda dealership tho as i have vw and audi far closer to my house but hmmm for some reason either vw or audi want to hear about ordering parts for a skoda...

Anyway i gived to parts counter reg vin and asked for the valve and housing and i received last week 03L109096B and 03L906455C tho i specified that on the car i have housing 04L109096 so most likely my valve is 04L906455G and the reply was those part numbers are not for skoda.

Today as the only day with half decent weather i got on taken the valve apart and what i have on the car is housing 04L109096 V350and valve 04L906455G V350 actual number from parts... New parts however housing 03L109096B V300 and valve 03L906455C V300 ... the valve will not even fit as a different diameter to the actual cam 04L109088 V360....

the solenoid on the housing is actually the same part number old and new... and obviously i had to put everything old back change the oil in the process, i found the solenoid to be a bit sticky but managed to get it freed up... end result was the same tho...

So now next i need to find out what is what...

0 0 0

10. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If you ordered 04L 109 096, that is what you should have been supplied, not 03L 109 096 B and the same for 04L 906 455 G. I know it is expensive but the only way we will deal with this is to fit the full twice revised camshaft module 04L 103 044 Q at £1417.86., from my perspective time is money and I have had enough pain with VVT systems to last me a lifetime. Why can't VAG do nice reliable VVT units like GM do on the LS and LT engines, simple, reliable, economical and powerful.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast